Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Trailers and Subways and Art, Oh My!

Just in time for the weekend, I'll give you the lowdown on last weekend's events.

Last Thursday was the Annual Trailer Park 2006 viewing party. This is a contest put forth each year by the AICE, specifically for assistant editors to hone their skills in a fun way. They give us a list of movies (9 this year), all from different genres. The goal is to edit a trailer for a movie, but into a different genre. For example, last year's winner was from our own PS 260, Robert Ryang, who cut a trailer for "The Shining" into a heartwarming family movie. You can view it here.

So this year, Princess (below with Dustin), Ned and I were the contributers from PS 260. We all headed down to West Lounge for free pizza and an hour of fake trailers. Ned's was "Pumping Iron" as a high-school comedy (here) and Princess did "Enter The Dragon" as a musical (here).


Robert came along as an honored guest.



We talked for awhile to this guy, who worked at a rival editing company with one of PS 260's ex-employees, and had just been promoted to assistant editor by way of said employee being fired (not the first time). Funnily enough, he ended up winning 2nd place with a teaser for "Enter The Dragon" as a blaxploitation comedy.


An hour of trailers can get old.


But we had fun anyway.


Afterward, we had food from a taco stand outside the Lounge.


Dustin showed the other contestants what he really thought of them.


Over the weekend I saw many cool things here and there. A sweet dress:


Cool subway art:




A dapper, old-fashioned fella on the train:


And an art free-for-all in Union Square. A giant canvas, bunches of paints and brushes, for any passers-by to contribute to the project:

All led, of course, by a hippie, who, when asked by a reporter about how he felt about President Bush, gave a sardonic chuckle, gazed at the sky and said, "I cannot even put into words how I feel about that man. Let's just not get me started, okay?":


In case you were wondering, yes, I added my own touch to the canvas. No, I didn't take a picture of it. Sometimes anonymity is divine.

Speaking of art, Kerri & Shannon came over to my place on Saturday for some quality art time. Strangely enough, none of us painted as we usually do... we ended up all making collages. I guess we're all going through the same art phase.


Kerri's:

Shannon's:

Mine:
Afterward, we got a glass of wine at this cool little coffee shop/wine bar right on my block. The interior was just fab. It reminded me of the Plaid Eatery in Tempe, where Kerri and I historically made the transition between coworkers and friends (and life was never the same afterward).



We had chocolate fondue.


Just delish!



Then we went to a psychic. They wouldn't let us take pictures. Mine was a load of crap and Shannon's was right on the money. Oh well.

We ended the night chatting in this little courtyard. Shannon and Kerri's sisters each called them 3 times within a half-hour, so here they are checking their messages to make sure everything was okay (which it was).


love,
*jenna*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home