Monday, November 30, 2009

Barbecues, Bros and Besties

My big brother, Nathan, lives in Austin. I've visited him there just once, for a surprise Easter gift to our mom, but that weekend was rainy and cold and most things were closed due to the holiday. He's been encouraging me to come see him for a weekend on my own ever since, and one day I finally decided to make it happen.

For added adventure, I decided to bring my best girlfriends with me. When I asked Nate if he would allow me to bring a friend or two, he basically freaked out and said, "You can bring as many hot girls as you want, but I don't think I'd be okay with you bringing any guys into my house." Ha, as if! So I grabbed the hottest girls I know (Kerri and Shannon), and we met up in Texas for a rockin' good time.

I met Shannon at the airport... my taxi ride to the airport, lo so early in the morning, was quite lovely and quick as there was no traffic.


As we took off I said ta-ta to our fair city.


We arrived in Austin and, as we awaited Kerri's arrival, had a spot of coffee in the sunlight. Shannon was rocking a ridiculously hot new 'do.


Before we knew it, Kerri landed and we got our squeals of delight and joy out of the way.


We haven't all been together in over a year, so this was quite the reunion.


Big bro Nate The Skate picked us up and took us out to lunch.




Over delicious Tex-Mex and micheladas, Kerri did some of her famous interpretive dancing with the restaurant guitarist.


After lunch with Nate's friend Prentiss, we basically just wandered around lovely downtown Austin.


We went a little gaga in a Mexican folk art store, of which there are a blessed many in Texas. I love all the bright colors, and of course the glitter.




We wandered around Uncommon Objects, a rad store with tons of random antiques.


I love the signage in Austin.






In an open plot of land some sweet trucks had set up shop. Of course we partook.




That night we made Nathan take us out on the town. He wisely brought his friend Frank along so he wouldn't have to deal with our constant girlie giggling and more interpretive dancing. We spent some time at the Continental Club and caught some live music.

Beauty queen Shannon did all of our makeup and of course, she herself was lookin' fine, sparkling as she tends to do.


We hung out behind the stage, feeling quite special even though it wasn't "technically" what you might call "backstage."


I had such a good time I clapped like a seal pup.




We made great use of the pool table back there, behind a woman who was inexplicably knitting.




After the Continental, we moved on to a couple of bars nearby and Shannon, Kerri and I played our usual "what guy would you pick for Kerri/Jenna/Shannon" game.

Here I may be thinking the gentleman to the right might do well for Kerri.


Nate and I definitely got some brother/sister bonding accomplished that weekend.


The next day, after lolling around on the couch and drinking coffee, we braved the rain and headed to our heaven: The Salt Lick for some authentic Texas BBQ.

Shannon is now my partner in short-haired crime.




Another friend of Nate's, whose name escapes me at the moment (sorry friend), joined us for the celebration of carnivorism.


For some reason, we were confused by the menus.


Nate and Kerri got it figured out.




Oh my God, so good.


AND PIE.






We even got to poke around their smoke pits.






After a brief stop at Target, where I got that beloved hot pink dress for the ALS dinner, we went home and the three of us ladies just vegged out with some wine and "Keeping Up With The Kardashians."



Since Nathan so generously hosted us for the weekend, we promised him one home-cooked meal. Shannon assumed the role of head chef, while Kerri was sous chef and I was, well... somelier? They didn't make me do much except pour the wine and slice bread. I wasn't complaining.




Shannon taught us this dope appetizer recipe, with sliced baguette, brie cheese and roasted garlic. It was, might I say, delish.


The meal was amazing...


... and boy was Nate excited.


That night we just chilled at home, drank wine, played with the dog, and did some salsa dancing.








Zoe even played cards with us.


Things got a little nuts...








Zoe took a particular liking to Shannie-Annie.






The next day was spent the way most of our weekends together do: with profound relaxation and hours of slow walking, usually accompanied by window shopping. Downtown Austin provided the perfect setting for our browsings.

Especially with micheladas outside, an impossibility in New York right now...






This folk art shop had so many beautiful items I couldn't choose! I finally decided on a heart to go with my collection (I have tin hearts from Mexico, Arizona and now Texas).














I decided that this red wall, covered in Mexican tin hearts, is my dècor inspiration and goal. Someday...


We wandered around, admiring shops and signs.


Yes, I am a dork.......







Apparently Kerri shares my affinity for degraded surfaces.


Just as Nathan was pulling up to drive us to the airport, this totally gorgeous couple stepped out into the middle of the street to have their engagement photo taken. On the one hand, they were freakin' precious. On the other hand, we all kind of wanted to puke.




We got into the car literally 20 seconds before it started raining. Luckily the drizzle didn't affect our travel plans.




Or perhaps unluckily... because then our weekend was over, all too soon.


Goodbye, Austin....


I miss you already. Mostly your food.

Thanks to Kerri for some of the photos in this post!

love,
*jenna*

2 Comments:

Blogger Shannon said...

If only it would have lasted longer. So much fun! Don't we look like we are made out of porcelain in the car picture?

9:03 PM  
Blogger Valerie said...

LOVE Shannon's new do!

Nate looks more like his dad every day.

What a great-lookin' Austin group.

6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home