Monday, June 28, 2010

The Great Escape

Last weekend Shannon and I wanted to escape - first we planned to go to Boston, then whitewater rafting in PA... and quickly realized we're both broke. So instead, we escaped to the lovely beaches of Long Island, sandwiches and bikinis in tow.

I was excited to debut this new suit I got in Paris.



The air was hot, the ocean was cold, and we got sandy indeed. But the murky waters of Jones Beach were freaking us out a little, so after a couple of hours we packed up to go to her pool to safely splash around.

I am pretty sure I have a photo of me doing this exact pose, wearing my mom's big straw hat, from when I was about 9 or 10.



Our evening was filled with swimming, pizza, a campfire, and "Bruno." I ended up staying the night at her house because the next day we wanted to go bike riding at Caumsett State Park.

We slept in, then decided to pack a picnic made from delicious ingredients found at Fairway. But first, we had to have breakfast.


Ahhh, iced coffee and donuts in the car. Makes me feel like I'm in Arizona again!

We rode around the park for awhile and found a little spot on the beach for our picnic. We settled in with our cheese and baguette (goat cheese as well as Camembert), some hummus, veggies, olives, of course some moutard, and also of course some white wine.


What a delicious, refreshing way to spend two hours on a Sunday.



We skipped stones and watched kayakers float past.




On the ride back, Shannon suggested we roll down a hill. "I've never done that!" I said. "What?! Okay, you're DEFINITELY doing it," she commanded.

We laid on our bellies, held hands, and rolled down the hill. Tremendous fun, but probably bad for my sunburned skin.


Also, I think I was allergic to the grass, because within minutes I was covered in itchy red bumps. But look how tall that grass is.


We did manage to have a bit of an escape that weekend, if only a road trip around Long Island.




Good music, good food and good friends... a surefire recipe for a great weekend.

love,
*jenna*

1 Comments:

Blogger Valerie said...

First, you have rolled down a hill, more than once, but it was a long, long time ago. (See, that's why we have mothers - for their memories.)

Second, I can't imagine rolling in HIGH grass. ooh - not same as a manicured park.

Third, because the grass was so high, your reaction could be from the grass gone to seed, or tiny buggies imbedded, lying in wait.

But it looked like a wonderful NY summer time.

Photo is coming.

10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home