Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Matrimony Rules! Part 1

This weekend was an Arizona weekend, and what a happy one it was. Both of my brothers and I were able to come down to AZ for our cousin's wedding, and, being the multi-tasking family that we are, packed even more than that into three days. It was Mom and Tom's 10th wedding anniversary so they threw a party for themselves... I'll break the blog into 2 parts, and this will be the anniversary one.

Nate, Greg and I got into town late Thursday night. After a brutal work week of staying late each night (till 10pm, 2am and midnight respectively), I was both relieved to have some time off and too tired to take a pic of the family that night.

Friday morning, I awoke at the refreshing hour of 1pm just as Nathan was coming home from buying Christmas and wedding presents. He shopped till he dropped.


Tom and I started setting up the kitchen for guests. He opened the dishwasher in mid-cycle and I couldn't resist this photo.


Before the other guests arrived, Grandma came over early to visit and give us Christmas gifts (as we will be in New York for the holiday this year). Nathan, the Good Grandson, gave her some gifts and showed her pictures of the turkey he fried for Thanksgiving.



She gave us each some great gift cards, plus the priceless treat of homemade Christmas candy. Greg didn't want to wait to eat them... he dove right in.


There was a whole lot of Grandma-loving going on.




We gave Mom & Tom a gift. Or, rather, we gave them a card and explained that "someone" forgot to pack our gift in his suitcase.


We had our obligatory family photo taken.


Mom showed off her fab design skills in all ways for this party and throughout the house in general. Look at these cakes she got for the party.



And all of this delicious food.


There were candles everywhere (even floating ones),


... and a general winter (rather than Christmas) theme, set off by pictures from their elopement and the ceremony with us kids.


The peeps started coming and it was great to see some of the folks' longtime friends. Marcy was especially boisterous.


We reminisced about when I used to babysit for her daughters. We would use the video camera and make our own soap operas (even then I wanted to be in the film industry) and I would send the girls on scavenger hunts using written clues hidden in door jambs and behind pottery throughout the house. "To this day I still find clues in the strangest places," she told me.

She and I now have matching hairstyles.


She gave my parents the most amazing gift. By chance, at both their elopement and family ceremony, someone played the Beatles' "In My Life" on acoustic guitar. For a present, Marcy & her husband Mike (at whose house the family ceremony took place) gave them a candle holder with all of the lyrics hand-painted on.


You can make up your own caption for this one.

"Okay, 2 words, 4 syllables... 1st word sounds like...."
Everyone had a fabulous time socializing.




In the middle of the evening, we had some special guests... Tom had a friend of his from the college bring over the choir for some carolling. It was just lovely.



They got us all to sing.


Even Grandma!


I tell you, my parents know how to throw a fete.


Steve was not as drunk as he looks in this picture. It was good to see him and Barb Curry and all the others.


Denise stopped by...


And gave Mom some terrific boots to take with her to New York.


Mom couldn't stop showing them off (they even matched her outfit that night).


By the end of the night, all of the ladies in attendance ended up in Mom's "Zen Room". It used to be my bedroom, but she recently redecorated it to be a sort of relaxation sanctuary, filled with family photos, books, and music. I think she inspired all these ladies.


But the party was just beginning for me. I was able to make it out to Tempe for some quality time with some fellow former (or not so former) Channel 8 peeps.



It was great to see friends I haven't talked to or seen in awhile, even just for a little bit.


Next I'll blog the wedding. But for now....


Happy anniversary to my wonderful mom and stepdad! Love you to bits.

love,
*jenna*

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jenna
What a great photo-tribute. We love you too!
Tom

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home