Dancin' Up An Art Storm
A couple of Friday nights ago, Shannon and I enthusiastically attended our second Ghostland Observatory concert. These Austinians really know how to rock the house - Webster Hall, to be exact.
I think they were wearing the same outfits as last time - the synth dude in a shiny cape, the lead dude in a white leisure suit (how fetching).

We had an awesome position - right in front of the stage. We got to experience Aaron Behrens in his full dance-o-matic glory.



Manhattan dance party!






Boogie Oogie-Oogie'ing galore




Behrens pulled double duty as guitarist extraordinaire. He really ripped that guitar up.






Steam and lasers abounded.

... and people were very much digging it all.


At the end, Behrens sat down for a pow-wow with the audience. Sometimes even rock stars need a breather.

The next day I headed all the way over to the very West Side for the 2008 Armory Show. I caught up with about a thousand of my fellow New Yorkers, and waited in an extremely long line.


Here are some of my favorite pieces - this one was just a gorgeous wall of glitter and paint.



This tunnel went down further than they eye could see - I have no idea how they did it.

This was teeny tiny.


These looked so real that for a few moments I thought they might be people in heavy makeup.
They weren't.





There was a lot of neon art, and a lot of text-based art (which is always my favorite).




There was a heavy mirror theme this year, even more than in years past. What is the art world trying to say to us? We should look at ourselves more? (I disagree.)



I saw this last year and just love it - it's a collection of books, every page reworked and reconstructed to be something totally different.

Two skeleton arms, holding hands.

This guy showed in the Armory a couple of years ago - Gaby Trinkhaus. Amazing collage.

This piece was made entirely of dedication pages from books (i.e. "For my mother..." etc.)



This was an interesting take on Rorschach ink blot tests...

And of course, I'm a sucker for text art.

And exploding roses.

I didn't get as much time as I wanted to see everything, but I liked much of what I saw - a lot more than the crappy Whitney Biennial (as usual). Thanks Armory!

And last but not least... Spring is finally springing here in New York City. The finest days of the year are upon us.




Sigh. Lovely. Happy freakin' Monday!
love,
*jenna*
I think they were wearing the same outfits as last time - the synth dude in a shiny cape, the lead dude in a white leisure suit (how fetching).
We had an awesome position - right in front of the stage. We got to experience Aaron Behrens in his full dance-o-matic glory.
Manhattan dance party!
Boogie Oogie-Oogie'ing galore
Behrens pulled double duty as guitarist extraordinaire. He really ripped that guitar up.
Steam and lasers abounded.
... and people were very much digging it all.
At the end, Behrens sat down for a pow-wow with the audience. Sometimes even rock stars need a breather.
The next day I headed all the way over to the very West Side for the 2008 Armory Show. I caught up with about a thousand of my fellow New Yorkers, and waited in an extremely long line.
Here are some of my favorite pieces - this one was just a gorgeous wall of glitter and paint.
This tunnel went down further than they eye could see - I have no idea how they did it.
This was teeny tiny.
These looked so real that for a few moments I thought they might be people in heavy makeup.
They weren't.
There was a lot of neon art, and a lot of text-based art (which is always my favorite).
There was a heavy mirror theme this year, even more than in years past. What is the art world trying to say to us? We should look at ourselves more? (I disagree.)
I saw this last year and just love it - it's a collection of books, every page reworked and reconstructed to be something totally different.
Two skeleton arms, holding hands.
This guy showed in the Armory a couple of years ago - Gaby Trinkhaus. Amazing collage.
This piece was made entirely of dedication pages from books (i.e. "For my mother..." etc.)
This was an interesting take on Rorschach ink blot tests...
And of course, I'm a sucker for text art.
And exploding roses.
I didn't get as much time as I wanted to see everything, but I liked much of what I saw - a lot more than the crappy Whitney Biennial (as usual). Thanks Armory!
And last but not least... Spring is finally springing here in New York City. The finest days of the year are upon us.
Sigh. Lovely. Happy freakin' Monday!
love,
*jenna*

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home