Friday, March 07, 2008

Klostered

You may remember our coworker Ned from Borgfest '07. Well, in keeping with an old college tradition, he declared last month Facial Hair February and didn't shave for a full 29 days (quite a feat for a clean-cut rower from preppy Hoboken). Well, on March 1st he shaved, sort of. He showed up to work with an awesome 'stache, which lasted a total of, oh, 36 hours. But before he rid himself of it, we had to take a commemorative photo of PS260's favorite facial hair boys.


Last night, I got the opportunity to see one of my favorite writers, Chuck Klosterman, read from his upcoming first novel and speak about the differences between writing fiction and non-fiction (he has heretofore been known for pop culture and music critiques). It was hosted by none other than the fabulous Ira Glass, of NPR's This American Life.


Chuck came out and read a bit from his book, which I believe comes out later this year and which I'm already excited about.


Klosterman speaks just the way he writes: he is nerdy, quick, eloquent, neurotic, and hilarious. He spoke to a room of 150 people as though we were all at a party and just discussing the music of the '80s.


Ira sat down with him and asked his influences, his writing process etc., all of which is fascinating and inspiring to one such as myself.


They had a half-hour-long Q&A session, wherein the person sitting right in front of me and directly behind me got to ask their questions, but alas, I was overlooked.


Luckily I stayed afterward and got to talk to him one-on-one and have him sign a copy of his book of essays, IV. He was very nice and wrote "Excellent hair" in my book.


One final note: I finally got my glasses repaired. It's nice to have them back... I feel more jenna-ish with them.


And now it's off to bell'Italia! Kerri got here last night. She, Shannon and I leave tonight and will wake up tomorrow morning in a new land, with a new language and new adventures to be had. All will be blogged upon my return.

Take care, America! Much love, many many kisses and mermaid shakes.

*jenna*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home