Monday, April 21, 2008

Records And Flowers, Together At Last!

Last week, spring was finally, fully sprung. It got all the way up to 78 degrees out, so everyone at PS260 celebrated by eating on the roof 3 out of 5 days of the week. It's a wonderful perk to a job that can be demanding at times.




On Friday, Kerri emailed me and Shannon to alert us to the fact that one of our (rare) shared favorite bands, The Black Keys, were going to be at a record shop called Other Music in honor of International Record Store Day, and they were going to DJ from 2-3pm. Shannon wasn't able to make it, so I decided to brave it alone.

I was expecting there to be a thousand people there, but it was just the regular ol' record store, and they just happened to be standing there DJ'ing (and playing a lot of oldies songs). On my way there I was imagining all of these coy, witty and adorable things I would say to them, and what they might say to me, and all of these scenarios ended with me hanging out with the Black Keys all weekend. But when I got there, I got all nervous because there was really no one around them, so I could just go up to them. I promptly began sweating and forgot everything cool or funny I've ever said. I just stammered, "Ummmmm... are you guys signing things?" as well as the classic, "I love your new album. It's really good." Jeez. That was not in the script. I was completely star-struck, like a nine-year-old meeting the New Kids On The Block. The whole thing lasted about two seconds: I had them sign my CD, then I took this picture of them. I didn't even think to count to three.


They sure are cute. So I walked away all nervous and stupid, then walked around the store mindlessly. I decided to buy a record for them to sign for myself and give the CD to Kerri because she was the reason I got to go, and would have been all over it if she were here. The second go-round was pretty much as embarrassing as the first, only involving a record. As I left the store I realized I should have gotten something for Shannon but by then I was too embarrassed to go back a third time and look like a stalker.


One thing I thought was funny (and kind of sad) was that in a record shop, in honor of Record Store Day, standing in front of two turntables, signing record albums, the Black Keys were DJ'ing using two iPhones.


After I left the store I had to take a break and collect myself. I walked all around town and found that street fair season has begun! Now we can buy $2 socks and cheap jewelry and gyros all on one block.


Near NYU, I saw this beautiful tree swaying in the wind, and although you can't tell from the photos, it was shedding its blooms ever so gently, the petals covering the sidewalk below.




I'm a window-lover.


*gasp.* You would not believe how good this bakery smells, from a whole block away. It smells like... cupcakes. If they were made by angels. Floating on a cloud of icing. Mmmmm.


Sunday was a bit chilly and overcast, but I didn't let that stop me from taking myself to brunch at Nice Matin (unpictured, but it was my birthday breakfast place, if you remember that... they have the best coffee I've ever had). Afterward, I took a stroll across the park. I walked slowly, which, if you know me, is a feat in itself.




There weren't a great many people there as it was cold out, but at least enough for a family game of soccer.


And a birthday picnic. It reminded me of going to Eldorado Park for my cousins' birthdays as a kid, except... you know... way cooler.


The blooms were bloomin', and fallin'.


Families were out in full loving force.


I sat myself down below that big tree and alternated between reading my book and half-napping.


It's easier to relax when this is above you.


And on the way home, I celebrated the return of the Park Avenue Tulips, so lovely and demure in their neat little rows.


And that's that. Think you've had enough of my obsession with spring flowers? Think again. I think next week I'll be going to the Cherry Blossom Festival, which you've already seen a couple years in a row, but guess what - you're gonna get it again. Be ready.

love,
*jenna*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home