Tuesday, October 28, 2008

My First Edit

Hello all! Gather 'round for story time, won't you?

So, a coupla weeks ago I was wrapping up a JCPenney job for Maury, who had skipped town to go start an edit in Buenos Aires. I did not get to go as his assistant because it's a Final Cut Pro job, and when he left I knew frighteningly little about the program. It's not that different from Avid, but it's different enough that every time I've tried to teach myself, I get frustrated at not knowing any of the buttons or terms for anything. Anyway, Ned got to go, because he's a superhero. Anyway, Thursday rolled around and, taking a break from cutting with clients for JCP, I came into Mitch's office to see her with a big evil grin on her face.

"You're going to be editing the ALS video," she said, relishing the fear that I'm sure instantly dropped into my face. (Side note: for the last several years, PS260 has edited a film for the annual ALS Foundation banquet, profiling patients with Lou Gehrig's Disease for the fundraising event. It's supposed to make you cry like a little baby then open your wallet for the cause.)

"Uhhhhhhh. Me? The editor? Are you sure?" I said.

"Yeah, we have, like, literally no one else."

"Oh my God! OH! Well! Okay! Um... Okay!" I stammered, suddenly terrified and excited all at once.

Later that day I was sharing my good news with Dustin, who gave me a very good pep talk (in reciprocation for all of my pep talks to him), then looked into the distance and said, "But... I thought they said it was supposed to be Final Cut?"

"NOOOOOOOOOOOO." But after a small freakout I said, "I've just got to learn how to use it! I've just gotta do it. I'll do it."

And thus began my journey into Final Cut-dom. I worked on finishing up JCP during the day, then went through the footage for ALS at night. I worked through the weekend, learning Final Cut and wrangling Dustin for his knowledge of the program as I went along. By the end of the weekend, I had a rough cut I was okay with and prepared to show the director Ben, the editors of PS260 and the agency folks behind it. I honestly didn't know whether it would be received well or poorly - I just didn't want to completely fail.

Luckily, the other editors at PS gave me very good feedback and tips on the cut, and Ben and the agency were happy with what I did. I've been told I made a few people cry upon viewing the piece (which is always my goal). I was just so happy to be working on something that fed me creatively, encouraged me to exercise my brain, learn new things and do a good deed in the process. In the end, the ALS Foundation had us cut it down from 10 minutes to 7, but I think it was still effective.

I got to find out for sure last night at the ALS banquet. It was held at the Marriot Marquis in Times Square, and the most fabulous part was that I got to dress up for it. Ben and I had a cocktail at PS60 before we left, all gussied up.


I looooove the back of this shirt.


I apologize in advance, because most of these pictures are just of me with other people. I felt awkward about taking photos all over the place, like a tourist or something. The place was filled with a few hundred wealthy sports fans, there to bid on memorabilia up for auction, eat some delicious food, and honor John McEnroe, Sandy Koufax and one other guy I can't remember. Oh, and see my video.

I was very excited because I got to meet the patients we profiled and their families, which felt like meeting a celebrity, since I've only known them via computer or TV screen for the last two weeks.

Ray was there, a brave and positive-minded music man with ALS, who reminds me a lot of my Uncle Matt.


After the preliminary cocktail hour, we were herded into the banquet room via a lovely golden escalator. Sounds like an odd children's book - The Golden Escalator.






After a short speech, all of a sudden our piece was up on screen. It was surreal because one moment people are eating their salad and not paying attention and the next moment the room is dead silent and women are dabbing their eyes.




These photos are very blurry. I was nervous.




Afterward I also got to chat with Daniel, who was a friend of one of the patients, Shawn. He was so sweet and happy to be a part of the video.


Me and Ronan - the producer from All Day Buffet, who (partnered with Ben), shot the footage and interviewed the subjects.


Bob Costas was there! And he was hilarious.


Omigod you guys, this dessert. Was. AMAZING. A little lemon meringue, a little chocolate truffle (with a gold fleck!) and a little chocolate mousse. Oh man. It was good.


After the show was over, I stood in line for a bit and got to meet Sandy Koufax, a baseball great (which you probably already knew) who is notoriously reclusive and normally never goes to these things. He was rather gentlemanly.


In whole, the night was lovely and working on this edit was very rewarding. I did not know I could do this. I think it came out pretty well. A couple I rode the elevator with on my way out complimented me on the video, and the fellow told me "it was very elegant." That is all I want to hear. Well, that and maybe that I made another editor cry.

Take a peek here. Unless you're my mom, in which case, wait for the DVD comin' in the mail.

love,
*jenna*

1 Comments:

Blogger Tom Foster said...

Two legends in my mind. I love the photo of two of my favorite people. You and Sandy Koufax have a lot in common: you are both inspirational individuals. Mr. Koufax on and off the baseball diamond throughout his life and you continually inspire those around you. Congratulations, Jenna. Keep up the good work.

Read about Sandy Koufax's incredible journey here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Koufax

1:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home