Sunday, October 19, 2008

"I Only Feel Alive When The VU Is Flashing..."

Hello my friends! Last Friday was a day both Shannon and I had been anxiously anticipating for months. Last winter I was determined to make a mix CD for Shannon that would banish her winter blues sooner than you can say "hot toddy." Therefore, I compiled a list of my favorite, undeniably happy, intricately poppy Of Montreal songs. Despite her hip-hop-devoted heart, she soon realized that no one can deny a good jenna mix and fell in love with Of Montreal.

So when we heard they'd be coming 'round the mountain this October (as they seem to every October), we bought tickets the moment they went on sale. I met up with Shannie after squeezing out of the office unencumbered and before long she'd given me whole new electric look.


Evidently something about this look screams "lesbian" because two guys inquired as to my sexual orientation that night. I just call it fierce.


I was excited to share the experience with someone I knew would appreciate all of the songs and dance her booty off with me. That's what Pengabears are for. It's a legal requirement.


The beginning of the show set the tone with an adequate balance of creepiness and shininess.


Soon Kevin Barnes emerged from the special draped compartment dressed as a bandolero and the boogie-ing commenced.






What I love about this band is that they not only sound great live, but they put on an amazing spectacle of a show. Barnes and Co. always get the crowd riled up and dancing like maniacs.


Not to mention the adorable keyboard player and her tutus.


So yeah... what I was saying about spectacle? This guy has as many costumes as he does songs.


But without a doubt, the weirdest moment of the night came when Barnes rode in on a white horse. No, really. He rode atop a live horse during a whole song, stroking the horse's mane rather languidly, doubtlessly to soothe the poor thing.


Additionally, Barnes was wearing nothing but a pair of gold lamè hotpants, a style he obviously copied from a certain mermaid we all know and love.


Gotta say, though, the dude's got waaaayyyyy better abs than I. And, ahem, other things. I am kind of starting to believe he and I are kindred spirits, if only for our love of public... you know... performance freedom.




There were a few convenient musical breakdowns during costume changes (naturally!).






Then he came out wearing this.


Glasses AND sparkles???? Be still my heart. If only it weren't for that fanny pack...


As with any other Of Montreal show, things went from weird...


To a little insane...


To... well, this is the only other level left.


But any revelers they might have lost to reason were quickly retrieved with a kick-ass rendition of Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit." Evidently, covering rawkin' Nirvana songs is the thing to do these days. But believe me, there is little I've experienced that comes close to the euphoria of losing oneself in the jumping, dancing-around abandon of a mosh pit shimmying in unison to a dead band's hardest-rocking song.





It was like a Polyphonic Spree concert mixed with a Flaming Lips concert mixed with "Equus" mixed with the Mermaid Parade. It was... well, it was like an Of Montreal show.



love,
*jenna*

1 Comments:

Blogger Shannon said...

Ok, besides having mad interpretation skillz...you are also a fabulous storyteller...hmm...maybe you should start a concert blog. ;) I had a fabulous time boogey-ing my ass off with you! It was WELL worth the wait!

12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home