Lit Up
This weekend Momo and I went a-Christmas shoppin' in Williamsburg. On the way to the L-train, we cut through Madison Square Park and I fawned over the lovely Christmas tree.

Also, an artist had installed several "tree houses" in the park, which I rather enjoy.

Ahhh... as they say, "It's Christmastime in the city."

Well, I didn't get any Christmas shopping accomplished. However, I did get a fabulous new hat. (what? I need it. It's like 20 degrees out.) Momo said I looked like Amelia Earheart, so here I am guiding an imaginary plane into the Bermuda Triangle.

The next day, Shannon and I met up at the MoMA, itchin' for an art fix. There was a Van Gogh exhibit up, but it was by timed entry only and the next available viewing wasn't for three more hours. So we decided to just kick it and enjoy everything else. There was this beautiful set of drapes hung, enclosing the main atrium in darkness.

Which was necessary, because the atrium was the venue for a video art project by Pipilotti Rist called Pour Your Body Out.


Everyone was captivated by the swirling/slomo images and ambient music.

I was captivated by our shadows.


It was trippy!!!

But gorgeous.

We wandered around the museum for several hours and loved approximately half of all modern art items exhibited.
LOVE:

Don't love:

Shews!

In the permanent collection, we saw a Rauschenberg, which always makes me feel inspired. Robert R. is one of my favorite artists of all time.

BIG collage.

Jasper Johns made an appearance. What's that you say, Mr. Johns?


Miss New York? Why of course! That's me! You can also call me Miss Scarlett.

Shannon snapped a photo of me as art.

I must say, however, that there is a very pronounced section of the MoMA that makes me detest modern art. In this photo, I do like the green sculpture in the back, but just to the right of my head is a giant canvas with white paint. That's it. That's it! I don't call that art; I call that lazy.

One piece I always enjoy seeing, however, is Marcel Duchamp's To Be Looked at (from the Other Side of the Glass) with One Eye, Close to, for Almost an Hour.
Shannon and I tried our best.

We made it about three seconds. I wonder if I would find the meaning of life upon staring during the 58th minute.



I looooove this painting.

It's not often you get to see an exhibit being set up.

After we'd been through the whole museum, we went downstairs and were going to leave but decided to take a sit at the atrium. Everybody else was relaxing down there, some people even sleeping.


It was beautiful.

This is from my viewpoint laying down against a wall and looking up.




Before we knew it, it was 4:30 and we were able to see the Van Gogh exhibit. I snagged exactly two photos (not allowed).

Sure, this is blurry, but it's Starry Night! The exhibit was short, but overall good. I love Van Gogh's thick brush strokes and use of color, particularly in night scenes. He shows the night alive.

I was so inspired I went home and painted for about four hours.
Yes, it's the holiday season, and the whole city is lit up.


But really, what else could you expect from the city with a heart of neon?

A lovely day, a lovely weekend. Thanks to Shannon for supplementing my photos. Happy December y'all!

love,
*jenna*
Also, an artist had installed several "tree houses" in the park, which I rather enjoy.
Ahhh... as they say, "It's Christmastime in the city."
Well, I didn't get any Christmas shopping accomplished. However, I did get a fabulous new hat. (what? I need it. It's like 20 degrees out.) Momo said I looked like Amelia Earheart, so here I am guiding an imaginary plane into the Bermuda Triangle.
The next day, Shannon and I met up at the MoMA, itchin' for an art fix. There was a Van Gogh exhibit up, but it was by timed entry only and the next available viewing wasn't for three more hours. So we decided to just kick it and enjoy everything else. There was this beautiful set of drapes hung, enclosing the main atrium in darkness.
Which was necessary, because the atrium was the venue for a video art project by Pipilotti Rist called Pour Your Body Out.
Everyone was captivated by the swirling/slomo images and ambient music.
I was captivated by our shadows.
It was trippy!!!
But gorgeous.

We wandered around the museum for several hours and loved approximately half of all modern art items exhibited.
LOVE:
Don't love:

Shews!
In the permanent collection, we saw a Rauschenberg, which always makes me feel inspired. Robert R. is one of my favorite artists of all time.
BIG collage.
Jasper Johns made an appearance. What's that you say, Mr. Johns?
Miss New York? Why of course! That's me! You can also call me Miss Scarlett.

Shannon snapped a photo of me as art.

I must say, however, that there is a very pronounced section of the MoMA that makes me detest modern art. In this photo, I do like the green sculpture in the back, but just to the right of my head is a giant canvas with white paint. That's it. That's it! I don't call that art; I call that lazy.
One piece I always enjoy seeing, however, is Marcel Duchamp's To Be Looked at (from the Other Side of the Glass) with One Eye, Close to, for Almost an Hour.
Shannon and I tried our best.
We made it about three seconds. I wonder if I would find the meaning of life upon staring during the 58th minute.


I looooove this painting.
It's not often you get to see an exhibit being set up.
After we'd been through the whole museum, we went downstairs and were going to leave but decided to take a sit at the atrium. Everybody else was relaxing down there, some people even sleeping.
It was beautiful.
This is from my viewpoint laying down against a wall and looking up.
Before we knew it, it was 4:30 and we were able to see the Van Gogh exhibit. I snagged exactly two photos (not allowed).
Sure, this is blurry, but it's Starry Night! The exhibit was short, but overall good. I love Van Gogh's thick brush strokes and use of color, particularly in night scenes. He shows the night alive.
I was so inspired I went home and painted for about four hours.
Yes, it's the holiday season, and the whole city is lit up.
But really, what else could you expect from the city with a heart of neon?
A lovely day, a lovely weekend. Thanks to Shannon for supplementing my photos. Happy December y'all!

love,
*jenna*

4 Comments:
I saw Starry Night at the Met. about twenty years ago. I've never forgotten its impact on me.
Loved this entire entry. It's lovely living vicariously in New York (and much warmer right now).
You two have so much fun doing whatever makes you happy! I love your blog and shared it with my Mom this weekend. You have no idea how much she enjoyed going to Italy with you and Shannon. I know she will share it with her friends for a long time; as she talked her ride-mate's ear off yesterday about it. Also, thank you for sharing our Thanksgiving; I loved sharing with you. Best always, Mardean
I love reading your blog, thank you so much for it! I miss New York so much, but with your blog I feel like I'm there even though I'm not.
next time i come for a visit (without kids)... will you and shannon take me out for a night on the town??? Dress me up, turn me into a city girl and take me on a city girl adventure.............. please.
Post a Comment
<< Home