Belated Birthday Post
With all of the hullabaloo about Obama winning the presidency, I sort of neglected to mention the gifts I got for my birthday. Regardless of the fact that I only cared about one thing that day - Obama - my friends and family gave me some splendid items for my 28th rotation around the sun.
Shannon gave me the most GORGEOUS earrings. From freaking BETSEY JOHNSON. She told me they represent how I've "bloomed" over the last year. They are amazing and precious to me; probably one of the nicest gifts I've ever received.

Dustin gave me the new Chuck Klosterman book, Downtown Owl, which he knew that I had been wanting. I was so excited to get this, as it's Klosterman's first fictional book and he'd read from it when we saw him speak in March. I have a not-so-secret crush on Klosterman.

And my mom came to visit me the month before. Gift enough! But she also went to the great effort to ship to me this li'l table I made in college and have been missing since I moved away from AZ. Now that I have room for it, I've been dying to get it back.
I made it as my final project for my Set Construction class. Seriously - I MADE it. I measured and cut the wood on my own (with a saw. how scary is that to imagine?). I put the pieces together. I got an A-.
Then, naturally, I decorated it.
It was designed to have removable legs, which makes it easy to store and move. Not VERY easy to ship, but easier anyway. I was thrilled to come home one night to trip over this thing in my darkened bedroom as I went for the light. When I originally collaged the hell out of it, I covered it in old sentimental items, and when I got it back, I didn't know whether - having not seen it for four years - I would find the decoration to be too corny or too sweet or other food-related adjectives for bad. After all, four years in New York City can change a girl's tastes. (there i go again)
But as I looked upon my table, I was delighted to feel as though I was reunited with an old friend. Or all of my old friends.

I know that I can be a terribly sarcastic, unforgiving person, but I do have a very sentimental side. As a Scorpio, once you are my friend, you are in me forever. It takes a lot for me to reject a friend. And this soft heart leads me to save the craziest little things from outings, dinners, vacations, adventures (as my fellow journallers on this year's trip to Italy can definitely attest). Chances are, if you are reading this, I have at least one little token from something we've done together.
So this desk is covered with postcards, museum tickets, wrapping paper from beloved gifts, clippings from scenes of favorite movies, notes from friends, a receipt from my first hair-dye purchase (a momentous occasion in my and Kerri's friendship), a ticket to Disneyland, and even a fortune or two. The sides are covered with movie and concert tickets - Beck, Foo Fighters, Weezer, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, etc etc etc.

A rhyming note Greg wrote to me one morning before school, when I was staying home from college in the summer. A Christmas card Kerri made for me. An angel sticker from an envelope from a birthday card from my mom.

Wrapping paper from a gift from my college roommate, Robyn. A horoscope which commands me to "take cold plunge into future." And my very favorite item - a postcard from Italy from my grandma, which ends with the line, "Life is wonderful!" Oh, my heart.

I told my mom she gave me my 22-year-old self for my birthday. And what could be better than that?

It was a lovely, perfect birthday.
love,
*jenna*
Shannon gave me the most GORGEOUS earrings. From freaking BETSEY JOHNSON. She told me they represent how I've "bloomed" over the last year. They are amazing and precious to me; probably one of the nicest gifts I've ever received.
Dustin gave me the new Chuck Klosterman book, Downtown Owl, which he knew that I had been wanting. I was so excited to get this, as it's Klosterman's first fictional book and he'd read from it when we saw him speak in March. I have a not-so-secret crush on Klosterman.

And my mom came to visit me the month before. Gift enough! But she also went to the great effort to ship to me this li'l table I made in college and have been missing since I moved away from AZ. Now that I have room for it, I've been dying to get it back.
I made it as my final project for my Set Construction class. Seriously - I MADE it. I measured and cut the wood on my own (with a saw. how scary is that to imagine?). I put the pieces together. I got an A-.
Then, naturally, I decorated it.
It was designed to have removable legs, which makes it easy to store and move. Not VERY easy to ship, but easier anyway. I was thrilled to come home one night to trip over this thing in my darkened bedroom as I went for the light. When I originally collaged the hell out of it, I covered it in old sentimental items, and when I got it back, I didn't know whether - having not seen it for four years - I would find the decoration to be too corny or too sweet or other food-related adjectives for bad. After all, four years in New York City can change a girl's tastes. (there i go again)
But as I looked upon my table, I was delighted to feel as though I was reunited with an old friend. Or all of my old friends.
I know that I can be a terribly sarcastic, unforgiving person, but I do have a very sentimental side. As a Scorpio, once you are my friend, you are in me forever. It takes a lot for me to reject a friend. And this soft heart leads me to save the craziest little things from outings, dinners, vacations, adventures (as my fellow journallers on this year's trip to Italy can definitely attest). Chances are, if you are reading this, I have at least one little token from something we've done together.
So this desk is covered with postcards, museum tickets, wrapping paper from beloved gifts, clippings from scenes of favorite movies, notes from friends, a receipt from my first hair-dye purchase (a momentous occasion in my and Kerri's friendship), a ticket to Disneyland, and even a fortune or two. The sides are covered with movie and concert tickets - Beck, Foo Fighters, Weezer, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, etc etc etc.
A rhyming note Greg wrote to me one morning before school, when I was staying home from college in the summer. A Christmas card Kerri made for me. An angel sticker from an envelope from a birthday card from my mom.
Wrapping paper from a gift from my college roommate, Robyn. A horoscope which commands me to "take cold plunge into future." And my very favorite item - a postcard from Italy from my grandma, which ends with the line, "Life is wonderful!" Oh, my heart.
I told my mom she gave me my 22-year-old self for my birthday. And what could be better than that?
It was a lovely, perfect birthday.
love,
*jenna*

1 Comments:
Awww...I am so happy that you like your earrings. Of course you look gorgeous in them! I love your table! I can picture exactly where it was in your old apt. in AZ. Oh memories.
Post a Comment
<< Home