Friday, December 18, 2009

Lately

It's been really cold out. In New York, though, the cold makes the light shining at three or four o'clock utterly gorgeous. Particularly through a dirty window.


One day in November, Stephanie graciously accompanied me to the Devendra Banhart concert at Town Hall. I have a deep affinity for Banhart, and his "Smokey Rolls Down Thunder Canyon" was one of those albums that found me at the exactly perfect moment in my life that I needed it. Which is a lot of profound association to put onto one collection of songs, but the thing is, it's hard to overstate its importance to my heart.

Unfortunately, Banhart is a total hippie nutbar, but it speaks to the quality of his music that despite his goofy stage presence, the show was still amazing.


His backup band, The Grogs, rocked the hell out of his eclectic songs.






A beautiful, inspiring night. Also, I saw Patrick Carney outside for the third time in a row. It seems like every show I go to lately finds him chillin' outside pre- or post-show. One of these days perhaps I will gather the cojones to talk to him.

Also notable in the past month was the Dana Boulé performance in Brooklyn. Steph's friend, originally from Brooklyn but now living the dream life as a musician in Paris, was in town for the week and put on a show with her cutie-pie cohort, forming The Sobs.
I was super excited to meet her, because I am a big fan of her hilarious blog. You should probably check it out.


Her show was awesome, the audience was rapt, and the Sobs even brought chocolate chip cookies to share with everyone. What more could you ask for?


While we were there, Steph and Nicole checked out the digital photo booth, which cannot even compare to a real photo booth. I peeped like a voyeur.


... before admiring the wall art in the boys' room. (what can I say, I don't always have the patience to wait for a line of girls to primp and preen in the ladies' room.)


And that's that for now. I'm currently confined to my bedroom, strep throat-ridden, listening to the Fleet Foxes "He Doesn't Know Why," looking out the window at the 30-degree New York air and anxious to come home to AZ for a little warm-up.



love,
*jenna*

1 Comments:

Blogger Valerie said...

Regarding the first photo: Never, EVER doubt your creative side, for ONLY the artist/poet sees the true divine beauty in inclement weather and dirty windows!

9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home