Thursday, June 08, 2006

Mish mash weekend.

It's been, to say the least, rainy in New York lately. The very definition of "torrential downpour." I left my house on Saturday only for a bagel and the laundry of my bedsheets. I spent the rest of the day "researching" the music of The Presets and Of Montreal, and working on my long-neglected novel.

Sunday it lightened up, and as I walked to the subway I saw the remnants of some kind of Jewish parade. At the exact moment that I snapped this picture, I overheard this old lady saying in a thick Long Island accent, "Cawl me crazy, but when I think of Manischewitz, I don't think of some big cake. I think of Matzo."


After seeing "La Mustache" with Nicole at the IFC Center, I met up with the girls at Terra Blues for some much-needed Junior Mack.
He's our favorite blues singer in New York. He has a standing Sunday Night gig at Terra Blues, a "tradition" that Kerri and I have fulfilled exactly twice.

But he's reliably good. He had an Ecuadorian harmonica player up on the stage a couple of times. Mauricio was just passing through NYC en route to the Chicago Blues Festival.


Terra Blues is home to one of my favorite ladies' rooms in the city. The hallway leading to it is covered in collages, and the ladies' room itself has collages of Mae West that I just love. I think the men's room has the Marx Brothers.

Here are some of the collages outside in the hall:


Requisite picture of me in a mirror in a mirror in a mirror...

I came out and Jr. Mack had replaced Mauricio with this other guy, Slim something, who is there all the time and is TOTALLY CRAZY. I think he had a little too much fun in the 60s, 'cause he seems pretty cracked out now.

And just before we left, Kerri and Shannon took advantage of the musician's break to hop onstage and pretend to rock out.


Cheers, y'all. love,
*jenna*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home