Friday, December 08, 2006

Matrimony Rules! Part 2

WARNING: The following post may contain the following offensively freaking precious images: couples kissing happily, children dancing, and white folks dancing uninhibitedly. If you have personal issues with any of the above-listed items, you are hereby advised to refrain from reading this post. Proceed at your own risk.

Last Saturday in Arizona the event of the local television news year was taking place: our cousin April, weather girl, was marrying Mark, sports guy. Yep, they're like Barbie and Ken and even nicer. I wish I could hate them but they're just too cool and nice and personable.

Anyway, so the boys and I got dressed up. I didn't feel that the dress that I brought was nice enough for the occasion, so I went to Target 2 hours before the wedding and got a new dress. Luckily Mom had an amazing pair of Mary Jane high heels that matched perfectly (and defied all laws of physics and shoe sizes). Somehow, of course, the boys and I ended up matching each other.


Greg brought his friend Courtney to the ceremony.


We all sat with Dad & Dana.


There were so many people in the wedding party, and tastefully dressed (no gaudy dresses for April!).



Soon she came past, looking more beautiful than any of us had seen her.


I snapped this photo of Mark the moment she appeared. He was grinning like a fool the whole day.


It was a lovely ceremony.


They said their vows, it was very sweet, and April teared up a bit... which made everyone else (read: me) cry a little too.


After the ceremony, we all went to April's parents' house at the base of the Superstition Springs mountains. The backyard was all gussied up. The cake was amazing.


Look at this detail!


I saw many relatives that I haven't seen in months, like Uncle Rob. When I was a little girl he used to ask me every time he saw me, "So how many boyfriends do you have now?" It was a little thing but it made me believe that someday I might be able to have a boyfriend.


Uncle Dave's and Aunt Nancy's arrival was announced...


... as well as the happy couple's.


We got another obligatory family photo (despite the harsh sunlight):


We got to see our cousin Douglas (Greg's car mentor) and his fiancee Austin.


She's always impeccably dressed with a rockabilly style, and Aunt Linda insisted on taking a picture of her and me together.


We both had black patent leather Mary Janes.


April and Mark came out and had their first dance as man and wife.



The groomsmen and pregnant bridesmaid(s) joined them.


Then everyone got on the dance floor (this is Aunt Linda and her beau John).


Even the flower girl and ring bearer got into it.


But the glory didn't last, as there was a game on and many males were in attendance.


Outside, I saw the amazing light hitting the mountains and scurried up to the deck.


There was a nice view from up there too.



The sun quickly descended into the horizon, the temperature dropped, and the party really got started. The matron of honor, best man, and Uncle Dave all gave speeches. Dave's speech was surprisingly tender and moving.


Dave and April, and Mark and his mother shared their dances.


Then the rest of the guests started dancing too. Just as I was telling Grandma Jackie that I do NOT fast-dance, Nathan somehow tricked me into dancing with him. We took pictures of each other taking pictures while dancing.


(White Man's Overbite)

Everyone got into the groove.


The newlyweds shared a special moment onstage, booty-dancing to some good old-fashioned funk music.



The crowd just ate it up.




Uncle Jeff and daughter Lori danced together.


Even Greg danced, which I haven't seen happen in years.


Jolly good time.


Dad said, "Let me get a picture of you three" and my brothers and I instantly struck this pose.


A&M cut the cake and refrained from smooshing it in each other's faces.


... while we all looked on.


April threw her bouquet (which I would have caught if it hadn't been for the pregnant bridesmaid) and Mark tossed the garter belt, which Greg caught (making me glad I didn't catch the bouquet).


Aunt Carol helped him properly don it.


Then Greg did his famous "hold your arms out and just swing your hips in a giant circle" dance.


It became apparent that the boys in our family had become men.


While Dad and I... well, I don't know what happened here. I think we were making fun of a groomsman who was dancing similarly.


And, at the end of the evening, Scott shared a dance with his big sister.


A night of fun and family (wow, that was corny).




Congratulations and good luck to the happy couple.

love,
*jenna*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home