Barcelona and Bowling
Spain is all the rage in New York museums these days. Dustin's dad recommended the Met's Barcelona exhibit, "Barcelona and Modernity: Gaudi to Dali." After a bit of work on Saturday, I left the office and the sun was shining so pleasantly that I called up my beau to see if he wanted to do something. He suggested the Met, so off we went.

Every part of that darn museum is beautiful. Getting to the exhibit we walked through the Sculpture Court and were impressed by this marble masterpiece.

The muscles, the vertebrae, good golly miss molly. Exquisite. The first thing we saw in the exhibit was a painting of a previous incarnation of Dustin circa The Early 1900s.

There was plenty to see at this amazingly curated exhibit. It was more than paintings; there were sculptures, furniture, photographs of architecture, and unique stories behind many of the pieces. You fully got a sense of the culture of Barcelona back then. We weren't allowed to take pictures, but you don't think I'd let my blog readers down, now do you? I wouldn't, and neither would Dustin. The pictures from this day are courtesty of both of us (as most of my blogs are). So, if it seems that many of the pictures are oddly framed, it's just because we were stealthy, in a hurry, and feeling the rush of adrenaline that comes with the rebellion of taking a photograph when you're not supposed to. Ooooh! We so crazy!

Of course, our man Dali made an appearance. This picture was ca-ray-zee and had many subtle things going on in its imagery.

There was some art deco fun to be had.

This painting was by Cassas. It was bought by an obscure American writer who could barely scrape together the money to pay Cassas but was enamored of Spain. His name was Earnest Hemingway.

They even had some fabulous furniture. This was the top of a vanity/beaureau, all details made of different species of woods.

And what would a Spanish exhibit be without Picasso? We've got the Blue Period...

Some political satire cartoons...

And some Weeping Women...


After that amazing exhibit, we were going to leave the museum when I saw a sign for a Louis Comfort Tiffany exhibit. I am quite familiar with his work because my mom loves him. Mom, I wish you could have been there!! I took some illegal pictures for you.







It was just beautiful. Breathtaking. After that, we went up to the roof to see the sights.

There was some interesting sculpture up there.

And views!




These flowers reminded me of the grapevines in the Louis Comfort Tiffany exhibit.



We went back downstairs and had dinner in the Met restaurant. Naturally, the wall decoration even in the restaurant was beautiful. Looka this big ol' rose.

Dustin had a delicious carrot soup.

We had this amazing psychic waiter, Sal. He predicted what both of us would have before we ordered it, down to the beverage. He's been doing this for 30 years or something.

Dustin said to me, "When's Valentine's Day?" I rolled my eyes and said, "Are you serious?!"
"I just wanna make sure," he said.
"Don't worry, you don't have to give me anything for the next 6 months," I told him. "I mean, you know, unless you want to."
So he did.

He saw me fawning over this journal in the gift shop after the Tiffany exhibit and picked it up for me. So sweet! My baby is good to me, yes he is.

If there's anybody out there who doesn't think this is the most beautiful journal ever created, give me a call and I'll set you straight.

It makes me want to write just looking at it.

By the way, in that first picture, just behind me is who we call our Met Angel. When we were trying to get to the roof, we got lost and he appeared out of nowhere, gently guiding us to the right place. When we asked the elevator operator where the dining room is and she rudely blew us off, he was right there guiding us to the better restaurant as we got off the elevator. When my entree went missing while Dustin got his, our Met Angel glided past me, silently noted the absence, and got on our waiter about it. We had a very supernatural Met experience that day.
Anyway, I had the filet mignon.

Dustin had the chicken (which Sal wrote on his notepad before Dustin ordered it).

For dessert, he read off the list of gelati and sorbets and looked at Dustin and said, "I'll bet you have the cherry, mango, and vanilla." Sure enough...

So I haughtily said, "Well, what am I gonna have?" He said, "The cheesecake." Yup.

And boy was it yummy. What a glorious way to spend the afternoon!

Afterward, we were due at a bowling alley at the Port Authority for the birthday party of Dustin's friend Harris. It was sooooo third grade grown-up .

Harris was there with his new girl, whose b-day was the same day (joint partay).

What a cute coupla hipsters!

I had been sorely missing that itchy uncomfortable feeling that bowling shoes give you. Ew.

After 9pm the bowling alley turns into a discotec of sorts, with old disco and hip hop and motown music pulsing in tandem with neon lights.
Althea and Matt made it out from Brooklyn (the tables were turned that night!)

And so did Matty and Christina, a dynamic plaid duo.

D. and I relished in our visages aglow against stripes of varying shades.


It was a good social experience, like going to a bar but with more to do. I'm not sure why Harris was caressing Althea in front of Matt at this moment, but alas...

But enough of that shmoozing stuff. Dustin got right down to business and bowled a strike on his second turn. He'd really been practicing on PS 260's new Nintendo Wii all week.

Then we proceeded to take pictures of everybody in the same bowling pose.





Behold, the youth of today's New York City.

Boy, this is turning into a long post. Anyway, on Sunday, after a delicious and intellectually stimulating brunch with Dustin's parents, I was feeling rather motivated and made the closet transition between winter and summer clothes. Now THAT is a task. All of my summer clothes were in a crate underneath my bed, behind boxes and basketballs and paint sets and my guitar and video camera and and and... Anyway, I felt so accomplished after that that I cleaned my entire room (swept and everything!). And after THAT, I really was on a roll and decided to finally (FINALLY) redo my bedroom décor, which has been 7 months in the making (what is wrong with me?!). I don't have a picture of what it used to look like, but it used to be all very red and golden, and I had a gigantic "Pulp Fiction" poster in Italian over my bed, and many beautiful images on the opposite wall, accompanied by quotes from the book "Adam's Navel."
I got new blue and white linens, took down the poster, and took down the images. Unfortunately, those images had been there for a very, very long time and didn't come down easily, leaving much of themselves behind.

I had no idea I was so disgusting. That stuff didn't come off, either. I tried for hours to scrub it off, to no avail. If anyone has any helpful household hints for getting tape adhesive off of a painted wall, PLEASE let me know.
So this is it now. It's such a tiny room, with a window facing a brick wall, that I have to do something to make myself love it.

Bird decals!

And lace! And Jenna Collages!

So that was my uber-productive, fun weekend. Next post: The Arcade Fire concert. Cheers!
love,
*jenna*
Every part of that darn museum is beautiful. Getting to the exhibit we walked through the Sculpture Court and were impressed by this marble masterpiece.
The muscles, the vertebrae, good golly miss molly. Exquisite. The first thing we saw in the exhibit was a painting of a previous incarnation of Dustin circa The Early 1900s.
There was plenty to see at this amazingly curated exhibit. It was more than paintings; there were sculptures, furniture, photographs of architecture, and unique stories behind many of the pieces. You fully got a sense of the culture of Barcelona back then. We weren't allowed to take pictures, but you don't think I'd let my blog readers down, now do you? I wouldn't, and neither would Dustin. The pictures from this day are courtesty of both of us (as most of my blogs are). So, if it seems that many of the pictures are oddly framed, it's just because we were stealthy, in a hurry, and feeling the rush of adrenaline that comes with the rebellion of taking a photograph when you're not supposed to. Ooooh! We so crazy!
Of course, our man Dali made an appearance. This picture was ca-ray-zee and had many subtle things going on in its imagery.
There was some art deco fun to be had.
This painting was by Cassas. It was bought by an obscure American writer who could barely scrape together the money to pay Cassas but was enamored of Spain. His name was Earnest Hemingway.
They even had some fabulous furniture. This was the top of a vanity/beaureau, all details made of different species of woods.
And what would a Spanish exhibit be without Picasso? We've got the Blue Period...
Some political satire cartoons...
And some Weeping Women...
After that amazing exhibit, we were going to leave the museum when I saw a sign for a Louis Comfort Tiffany exhibit. I am quite familiar with his work because my mom loves him. Mom, I wish you could have been there!! I took some illegal pictures for you.
It was just beautiful. Breathtaking. After that, we went up to the roof to see the sights.
There was some interesting sculpture up there.
And views!
These flowers reminded me of the grapevines in the Louis Comfort Tiffany exhibit.
We went back downstairs and had dinner in the Met restaurant. Naturally, the wall decoration even in the restaurant was beautiful. Looka this big ol' rose.
Dustin had a delicious carrot soup.
We had this amazing psychic waiter, Sal. He predicted what both of us would have before we ordered it, down to the beverage. He's been doing this for 30 years or something.
Dustin said to me, "When's Valentine's Day?" I rolled my eyes and said, "Are you serious?!"
"I just wanna make sure," he said.
"Don't worry, you don't have to give me anything for the next 6 months," I told him. "I mean, you know, unless you want to."
So he did.
He saw me fawning over this journal in the gift shop after the Tiffany exhibit and picked it up for me. So sweet! My baby is good to me, yes he is.
If there's anybody out there who doesn't think this is the most beautiful journal ever created, give me a call and I'll set you straight.
It makes me want to write just looking at it.
By the way, in that first picture, just behind me is who we call our Met Angel. When we were trying to get to the roof, we got lost and he appeared out of nowhere, gently guiding us to the right place. When we asked the elevator operator where the dining room is and she rudely blew us off, he was right there guiding us to the better restaurant as we got off the elevator. When my entree went missing while Dustin got his, our Met Angel glided past me, silently noted the absence, and got on our waiter about it. We had a very supernatural Met experience that day.
Anyway, I had the filet mignon.
Dustin had the chicken (which Sal wrote on his notepad before Dustin ordered it).
For dessert, he read off the list of gelati and sorbets and looked at Dustin and said, "I'll bet you have the cherry, mango, and vanilla." Sure enough...
So I haughtily said, "Well, what am I gonna have?" He said, "The cheesecake." Yup.
And boy was it yummy. What a glorious way to spend the afternoon!
Afterward, we were due at a bowling alley at the Port Authority for the birthday party of Dustin's friend Harris. It was sooooo third grade grown-up .
Harris was there with his new girl, whose b-day was the same day (joint partay).
What a cute coupla hipsters!
I had been sorely missing that itchy uncomfortable feeling that bowling shoes give you. Ew.
After 9pm the bowling alley turns into a discotec of sorts, with old disco and hip hop and motown music pulsing in tandem with neon lights.
Althea and Matt made it out from Brooklyn (the tables were turned that night!)
And so did Matty and Christina, a dynamic plaid duo.
D. and I relished in our visages aglow against stripes of varying shades.
It was a good social experience, like going to a bar but with more to do. I'm not sure why Harris was caressing Althea in front of Matt at this moment, but alas...
But enough of that shmoozing stuff. Dustin got right down to business and bowled a strike on his second turn. He'd really been practicing on PS 260's new Nintendo Wii all week.
Then we proceeded to take pictures of everybody in the same bowling pose.
Behold, the youth of today's New York City.
Boy, this is turning into a long post. Anyway, on Sunday, after a delicious and intellectually stimulating brunch with Dustin's parents, I was feeling rather motivated and made the closet transition between winter and summer clothes. Now THAT is a task. All of my summer clothes were in a crate underneath my bed, behind boxes and basketballs and paint sets and my guitar and video camera and and and... Anyway, I felt so accomplished after that that I cleaned my entire room (swept and everything!). And after THAT, I really was on a roll and decided to finally (FINALLY) redo my bedroom décor, which has been 7 months in the making (what is wrong with me?!). I don't have a picture of what it used to look like, but it used to be all very red and golden, and I had a gigantic "Pulp Fiction" poster in Italian over my bed, and many beautiful images on the opposite wall, accompanied by quotes from the book "Adam's Navel."
I got new blue and white linens, took down the poster, and took down the images. Unfortunately, those images had been there for a very, very long time and didn't come down easily, leaving much of themselves behind.
I had no idea I was so disgusting. That stuff didn't come off, either. I tried for hours to scrub it off, to no avail. If anyone has any helpful household hints for getting tape adhesive off of a painted wall, PLEASE let me know.
So this is it now. It's such a tiny room, with a window facing a brick wall, that I have to do something to make myself love it.
Bird decals!
And lace! And Jenna Collages!
So that was my uber-productive, fun weekend. Next post: The Arcade Fire concert. Cheers!
love,
*jenna*

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home