America's Next Top Mermaid
Ever since the last time I went to the Coney Island Mermaid Parade two years ago, I've wanted to be in it. Last time I saw things I never thought I'd see (or ever wanted to see). The craziest people make it out to dress up (or down) and shake it like a pepper shaker in this glitterfest, which is basically like the Halloween Parade and the Gay Pride Parade had a baby and tossed it into the ocean. Last year I couldn't make it because I was in Mexico (so worth it!) and the girls and I all said, "Eh, we'll just do it next year." Well. We all know what happened to the other girls. But seeing as this is very likely the last year for the parade (since next year our beloved Astroland is going to be either a condo multiplex or a Las Vegas-style resort), I decided I couldn't let anything stop me. Luckily, some girlfriends from work (Mitch, Sarra and Stephanie) and Dustin came with me even dressed up! If Kerri, Shannon and Jennifer had been there it would have been so out of control I don't know whether I would have made it out alive.
I think for this blog (which is comprised of Stephanie's, Dustin's and my photos) I will let it be photographic. I'm pretty sure the pictures tell the story. I'll just say this: I had the best time I've ever had in New York, which is saying a lot (although the Flaming Lips concert is a close second). I wore very little (Grandma, if you read this, brace yourself) but I was surprised by how comfortable I felt in my own skin. I guess I just decided, you only live once. There will probably be very few times in my life that I will be able to get away with wearing something like this. I was so excited about my costume that I just decided to rock it. The photographers were insane: as soon as one person would take my picture, there would suddenly be eight photographers clicking away. But, as you will see below, I was LOVING IT! I felt like a star. I let out a side of myself that I barely knew existed. Kerri Cole would have been proud (I think she IS proud of me for it). And, the people who came with me looked AMAZING. I was so happy to be accompanied by such enthusiastic mermaids (and one hot evil Prince Neptune). In addition to my co-workers and D., we tagged along with a group headed by a former PS260-er, Sandra. We were the Sapphire Sirens (although I was mostly gold) and they were all beautiful and super-nice ladies. Throughout the parade I kept shaking my body and trying to get the crowd into it, making them clap and shake too. I just figured that's what you do in that sort of situation. But one of the Sirens came up to me after the parade and said, "Jenna! I'm so glad you came! You really got the spirit of the parade and entertained the crowd!" Ha ha... well, that's what I came to do!! I had a freakin' blast.
So, without further ado, I present to you: The Mermaid Parade 2007.




































































Here you can see Rachel Weiss and baby, with her fab director husband Darren Aronofsky:



















This just says it all. My fave.

Our poor co-worker Ned, who came out to support us. I think I freaked him out a little when I came running up to hug him.

















And not a bit of sunburn! SPF 50 baby!!
The next week I was all over the photo pages among the Internet. You can see me here. And here. And here. But this one was the best.
love,
*jenna*
I think for this blog (which is comprised of Stephanie's, Dustin's and my photos) I will let it be photographic. I'm pretty sure the pictures tell the story. I'll just say this: I had the best time I've ever had in New York, which is saying a lot (although the Flaming Lips concert is a close second). I wore very little (Grandma, if you read this, brace yourself) but I was surprised by how comfortable I felt in my own skin. I guess I just decided, you only live once. There will probably be very few times in my life that I will be able to get away with wearing something like this. I was so excited about my costume that I just decided to rock it. The photographers were insane: as soon as one person would take my picture, there would suddenly be eight photographers clicking away. But, as you will see below, I was LOVING IT! I felt like a star. I let out a side of myself that I barely knew existed. Kerri Cole would have been proud (I think she IS proud of me for it). And, the people who came with me looked AMAZING. I was so happy to be accompanied by such enthusiastic mermaids (and one hot evil Prince Neptune). In addition to my co-workers and D., we tagged along with a group headed by a former PS260-er, Sandra. We were the Sapphire Sirens (although I was mostly gold) and they were all beautiful and super-nice ladies. Throughout the parade I kept shaking my body and trying to get the crowd into it, making them clap and shake too. I just figured that's what you do in that sort of situation. But one of the Sirens came up to me after the parade and said, "Jenna! I'm so glad you came! You really got the spirit of the parade and entertained the crowd!" Ha ha... well, that's what I came to do!! I had a freakin' blast.
So, without further ado, I present to you: The Mermaid Parade 2007.
Here you can see Rachel Weiss and baby, with her fab director husband Darren Aronofsky:
This just says it all. My fave.
Our poor co-worker Ned, who came out to support us. I think I freaked him out a little when I came running up to hug him.
And not a bit of sunburn! SPF 50 baby!!
The next week I was all over the photo pages among the Internet. You can see me here. And here. And here. But this one was the best.
love,
*jenna*

3 Comments:
Didn't you feel odd shaking your "tassles" in front of little kids?
No. At least I had tassels.
oh! My heart!
Post a Comment
<< Home