Friday, September 07, 2007

Peanut Butter and Jelly?

Oh New York. God love ya.


In other news, Dustin and I found ourselves double-booked last night, with talk by Larry David at the 92nd St. Y and also a Peter, Bjorn and John concert last night. As you can tell, once the show started we weren't able to take photos. But it was pretty cool to hear him (he was absolutely hilarious) and we even were treated to the first-ever screening of Sunday's season premiere of "Curb Your Enthusiasm." Watch it. It's fantastic.


Unfortunately, we had to leave early to catch the P, B and J concert, and on our way out Dustin snapped this photo of Larry and the discussion "mediator," Susie Essman, who is his costar on "Curb." By the way, tilt up, Camera Two. Sheesh.


With the partial cab strike going on, we paid a pretty penny to rush down to Midtown and the Roseland Ballroom, where the band was playing. We walked in during the first song, "Let's Call The Whole Thing Off" (not the song you're thinking of). An ironic choice for first song.


I love the red lighting in this place.


We rocked out with our tongues out.


The band, being from Sweden and all, spoke in sweetly broken English.




The place was packed, mostly with people who only wanted to hear one particular song. So, until that time, most people just stood around gabbing.





And that song was "Young Folks," used in rough cuts for commercials and rips all the time, plus one really stupid music video. But everyone shut up and watched as PB&J sang it.



Granted, it is an awesome, catchy song, and very singalongable. Back in January, when I first heard it, I declared that it would become the hipster anthem of 2007.



They also played a beautiful rendition of "Up Against The Wall," which Dustin and I had to hear five million times when it was used in Maury's rough cut for a recent Levi's commercial. It eventually was bought for the spot, and although I reckon that Maury is responsible for the extra several grand in their bank accounts, Dustin pointed out that Maury probably would not have known about the song had I not been incessantly playing the album at work. Well, hey. It's a team effort.


A fabulously full night in Manhattan. Check out PB&J on their MySpace page and hear the songs I'm frickin' talkin' about.


love,
*jenna*

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

PB&J are in Tempe on the 16th.

from your cool mom. (wink)

9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home