Monday, August 20, 2007

Cancun '07, Part 3

After all of our adventures, we only had 1.5 days left for vacation. We used the time wisely by swimming in the ocean.



Friday morning we signed up for a 1-hour snorkeling adventure. Neither of us had ever done it before, so it was a good learning experience. There was a reef about 5 minutes out from the resort, which is why the water at our beach was less blue than in Cancun proper. We got all suited up.


It was weird breathing through the mouth and keeping your body horizontal so as not to disturb the coral peace.


See? Coral.


It's kind of hard to see here, but that mess of objects is a school of clown fish. They were all over the place. It was pretty much awesome.


¡Buenas Dias!


If you click on this picture it's easier to see all the beautiful blue fish that were swimming around us. I think they're called Blue Tangs or something to that effect - the instructor said she had never seen so many at one time as when we were out there.


More fish & coral




The floor.


I'm really glad we did the snorkeling thang.


Afterward, we were excited to get to the spa for one more massage. The spa is surrounded by hibiscus that remind me of home -


- and banana trees, which I had never seen before in real life.


Spas generally tend to be the kinds of environs that make you instantly sigh contentedly and relax when you walk in, and this place was no exception.





My massage was basically life-changing. Gloria massaged muscles that I didn't even know I had, and came as close as anybody could to getting rid of that knot in my shoulder. I felt so good afterward, I spent the rest of the day saying "I've never been this happy." This is not the best photo of me in existence, but it aptly illustrates my perfect calmness as I walked out of my massage and told Gloria, "I love you."


It was a good way to spend our last full day at the resort. Can you guess what we did after the massages and before dinner?


Yep.





That night I walked around the premises as Dustin took a nap, and looked around the souvenir shop. They had earrings that dangle!


And I picked out this pretty necklace as a souvenir, because it reminded me of the coral from our snorkeling trip and the seaweed in the ocean.


After dinner we walked around and enjoyed the resort by night.




The perfect darkness of the ocean.


The next morning - mmmm, bacon

The next morning we packed up our stuff and, as our flight didn't leave until 7pm, we stored our luggage and I went to the beach one last time while Dustin caught a game of Giant Jenga. Or could it be Jiant Jenga?



Aaahhhhh... as I said before, I love this view.



On our way out, we stopped for one more ice cream - you wouldn't believe how glorious it was to feel the cold ice cream on your lips when it's so hot out.



We bid the Excellence Riviera a fond farewell and expressed our gratitude aptly.




Then it was back to America, back to New York... by way of Newark of course.


Happy but sad all at once.


And covered in the necessary wounds of a trip well spent.



Makes me itch just thinking about it.


Ah, yes, it was a wonderful and necessary trip, and we spent it well, I believe - and lucked out as far as the timing goes. This very region of Mexico spent last weekend evacuating in preparation for Hurricane Dean. I'm very glad we went when we did, enjoyed it to the fullest, and got out when we did too... I'm just hoping it will all remain intact for people who come after next week, so they can enjoy this as much as we did.



love,
*jenna*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home