Friday, July 06, 2007

Even without the glitter, New York is golden.

So, after the Mermaid Parade, nearly everything else in my New York life was overshadowed. I was euphoric after that day but I have done some amazing things since then that should not be forgotten.

The next day, Sunday, some of Dustin's friends were going to Red Hook, a neighborhood in Brooklyn. For the last 30 years, the locals have played soccer at a nearby field during the warmer months, every week I think. I guess it was mostly South American folks - Venezuelan, Brazilian, Ecuadorean, El Salvadorean, Colombian, etc. One day someone had the genius idea of bringing food to barbecue at the games. That morphed into selling the food to the crowd, and now, decades later, there is a weekly collection of authentic, amazing Latin food - all of the above listed groups as well as Mexican, Puerto Rican and more, selling fresh juices, elotes, pupusas, and many more amazing AMAZING foods.

So we met up with Dustin's pals, Sarah, Claire and Aaron, to join the fun and stand in long but well-worth-it lines.


There were lots of people there. It may be a well-kept neighborhood secret, but it seemed like everyone from the 'hood was there.


This beautiful mamì was hard at work. For pupusas, you choose your fillings (meat, veggies, cheese, beans, or all of the above) and then they integrate it into the delicious dough and fry it up all together.



I had some limeade, bean-and-cheese pupusas, and of course elotes, which is corn on the cob slathered in butter, Oaxacan or parmesean cheese, lemon juice, and chili powder. You can also have it with mayo but I don't roll that way. But believe me, it was tremendously satisfying. It's hard to describe how mind-blowingly good this food was to people just reading about it, but this food requires a new word for amazing. Best food I've had since we went to Mexico last year. (And I think it was the same weekend as last year!)

We settled on a grassy knoll to relax and chow down. We didn't watch much soccer, but we did take some time to lay around and enjoy life's simple contentments: great food, beautiful weather, and the pleasure of each others' company.


Some dudes were playing cards nearby.


Dustin went for more food and came back with this taco-like concoction called huarache. Filled with savory meat, cheeses and all kinds of good stuff, it nearly defeated his already-filled stomach.


Luckily he made it through valiantly, and then we just layed around (lay around? lie around? lied around? Mom, chime in here) and I indulged my visual obsession with sunlight streaming through a canopy of trees.






We just chilled and chatted, and Aaron and I even played some Frisbee (unpictured). I sucked.

On the way home, we saw some cool graffitti.



And some interesting texture on the subway station ceiling.



The next weekend (last weekend), among work and other such nonsense, Dustin and I squeezed in some time at the Natural History Museum.


We got to see the huge whale.


I made out with an ugly fish.


And Dustin got his eye poked by a vicious sword fish.


We originally came for the Mythical Creatures: Dragons, Unicorns and Mermaids exhibit, but it was sold out. What??! Whatever. So we saw a frogs exhibit instead.



I was kinda like, "Eh." But then one of them MOVED! I was like, "WHOAAA! WHA-????" I didn't know they were REAL frogs! I mean, everything else in the museum is a recreation of everything, so I was shocked, SHOCKED to see that they were real.


It made the exhibit soooo cool. They look like they're freaking plastic toys, but they're REAL!



And so tiny!!





I want a frog!





At the gift shop, Dustin got friendly with the toys.


And THEN, the next day we wanted to go out for dinner. We were near the office, and we're always looking for new places to go around there for future reference. Dustin had seen some places while strolling to a friend's apartment earlier that week, so we decided to look at some of the menus.

On our way, we were struck by the unparalleled beauty of the New York sunset beaming through the avenue.





I reeeeeeeeeeally didn't want to go to this place Artisanal, because I just didn't want French food, and French restaurants tend to be snooty and not treat us well. But after looking at some other places, Dustin kept saying, "I think it will probably be good." He was underestimating, because we both knew this place was famous for its cheeses. I said "What the hell" and off we went.


Good bread.


Good onion soup.


I was never really into cheeses, but since this place was known for it, we gave it a go. And it was amazing - the way they combine each cheese with certain fresh fruits and meats, the textures and flavors were very satisfying. I am now soooo into cheese plates.


My steak was perfectly done.


Dustin's chicken was perfectly moist.


The cheesecake was perfectly fluffy, though after our meal we could barely split it.


By the end I was very glad we had gone there. Now all I want to eat are cheese plates and pupusas.


love,
*jenna*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home