Monday, July 16, 2007

A Glassy Saturday

Good golly it was quite a week last week. We finished up three different jobs at work (NASCAR, Levi's and an ESPN spot featuring David Beckham) and I worked late every single night. All three of our runners at the office either quit or were fired. Friday the 13th definitely felt freaky, and I was just happy to see the week end and get a chance to sleep.

In the hopes of raising my spirit, I wore one of my favorite skirts - this bright yellow monstrosity.


For dinner, Dustin and I went to Tabla, an Indian fusion restaurant, one of our faves. We had "avocado salad" as an appetizer, which in reality was a fancy name for guacamole.


And their special corn, which were just like elotes. (hmmm, maybe Indian and Mexican aren't so different.)


On Saturday, we were going to a concert at Lincoln Center.


A bunch of us from work had gotten tickets to "The Book Of Longing," which was composed of music written by Philip Glass inspired by/set to a collection of poems by Leonard Cohen. Quite extraordinary indeed. I was excited to get dressed up.


A bunch of us met at Rosa Mexicana, another fave. The best Mexican food in New York (except maybe for Maya).


Naturally, we got the tableside guacamole.


Dustin and I had almost the same thing (tacos) except his were beef and mine chicken. Both SCRUMPTIOUS.


It was girls on one side...


... and boys on the other.




One of my favorite aspects of the Rosa Mexicana restaurants is their decòr.

Dozens of miniature divers suspended against a waterfall, mimicking the divers of La Quebrada in Acapulco:


As well as these lovely lamps at the bar, just in front of warmly-lit panels covered in rose petals.


The show actually was at the Rose Theatre section of Lincoln Center, in the Time Warner Center at Columbus Square, where "Jazz at Lincoln Center" is shot. It was quite beautiful indeed and had many acoustic enhancements.


The show was very unique. Glass played keyboard and there were sketches and a rotating set of self-portraits by Cohen as set design. For several poems, Cohen's prerecorded voice blanketed the space in a throaty, raspy, worn tone. The music was, of course, haunting and beautiful, and the musicians exquisite.


This cellist's solo gave me goosebumps.


There were some singers involved, but I felt that their Broadway-style of singing rendered the poetry's intimate and thoughtful prose cheap and damn near silly.




But it was still a unique and often moving performance, and the musicians and composer received a standing ovation at the end.


Hey, who doesn't love a great elevator portrait?


One of our fired/resigned (depending on how you look at it) runners made it out. He was a little nutso that night, having left/lost his job just the day before.


As the group scattered, Dustin and I had time to kill so we went further into the Time Warner Center and did the Sunday crossword.


Not a bad backdrop at all. A bit later, we traveled to Brooklyn for a birthday party.


Complete with some delicious homemade food.


The party was thrown by none other than Dustin's ex-girlfriend Kerri, one of the only exes of his I had not yet met.


She was cool, and though I was a bit nervous, I realized she and I have more in common than I thought. She's living in NYC for the summer learning Yiddish (not that that's something in common...) Anyway, here she is with her new lady friend.


We spent much of the night chatting with this energetic couple and trying to guess each other's occupations.


It was very warm in that apartment, but the sweaty people had a good time nonetheless, including Kerri and the birthday girl.


Someone tried to get us to do "The 1/8th Smile" which I didn't understand until the last second. You smile as big as you can, and then you take it down to half of that, and then half of that, and then... well, then I start laughing hysterically.


But after a giggly struggle I made it. I also like to call this expression "The Lindsay Lohan Just Caught By The Paparazzi."


We sang and stuff. The usual birthday festivities.


Present at the party was this chick whose name escapes me at the moment, but she was freaking me out.


I'm sure you understand. Anyways...... only 3 weeks until our Cancun vacation! Can't come soon enough.



love,
*jenna*

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just before I saw your post mentioning your lovely yellow skirt (NOT a "monstrosity"), I had plucked one of my newly blooming hibisucus plants because the yellow bloom was most unusual. Pam was here to tell me it is a rare ruffled kind. And it immediately reminded me of your skirt; I showed Pam the twirling photo of you in it - a favorite of mine.

8:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home