Tennis, Etc.
Last Saturday Dustin and I both rode the 7 train for the first time ever, deep into Queens for the U.S. Open Semifinals. Dustin, an avid tennis fan, had been looking forward to this event since he purchased tickets for it three months ago, and I, having just learned the rules of tennis and the rivalry lore about Nadal vs. Federer, was pretty excited too. Unfortunately, Nadal didn't make it into the Semis, but we did get to see Federer.
It was a pretty long boardwalk from the subway to the court.

Yay America!

Apparently this is where they stash all the trains.

"We're here!"


Ashe Stadium is quite elegant, the opposite of a baseball stadium I guess you could say. There were some nice cafès and restaurants plus a beautiful courtyard and garden, and I have to say, everyone working there was genuinely warm and welcoming.

We travelled up, up, and away to our Row W seats.

It was warm that day, my friends. Even for an Arizonan, 90 degrees and humid, in the sun for 7 hours, is no joke. I'm telling you, my nailpolish melted to the consistency of asphalt on a July Arizona day. I'm not gonna lie - after my Chichen Itza experience, I was worried that I would be miserable in the heat all day. But I came well-prepared, with lots of sunblock, water, and of course my Gigantic Hat.

Dustin had to use it a little too.

While we were waiting for the first match to start, we hung out in the shade near the overpriced water and sandwiches, and who did we happen to see but Dustin's friends from high school and current ping-pong nemeses, Chris and Rodrigo.

They were in the same section but a little bit closer. The match started and it was so cool! Like a baseball game, but classier. They still played pop music between games, but every time something good happened everyone applauded politely and gasped genteelly at crucial moments. And they sold champagne alongside the beer.

This was what our view was really like. I guess we were pretty high up, but it still felt intimate, you could see everything that happened, and there was a nice breeze up there.

Breezes aside, we still needed some good Italian Ice.

Djokovic won the first match, easy as pie, it seemed.

After a delicious lunch of Carnegie Deli sandwiches and chicken fingers, we came back to our spot and I reapplied my SPF faithfully.

Then it was onto the match we had all been waiting for: Federer vs. Davydenko.

The place was a little more crowded for that one.


However, we got a call from Rodrigo, who had moved down to the loge level, since not all of the seats were filled - and he had two seats open next to him. So we upgraded as well.

The court seemed so much smaller then!



In other news tonight, I took a shining to the 'do my hairstylist gave me while cutting my hair last night.

I think I could rock it. Also, check out this photo that my mom sent me, of Halloween '92:

Once a mermaid, always a mermaid. Ah, how things have changed... and yet, not changed at all.
Have a happy week everyone!

love,
*jenna*
It was a pretty long boardwalk from the subway to the court.
Yay America!
Apparently this is where they stash all the trains.
"We're here!"
Ashe Stadium is quite elegant, the opposite of a baseball stadium I guess you could say. There were some nice cafès and restaurants plus a beautiful courtyard and garden, and I have to say, everyone working there was genuinely warm and welcoming.
We travelled up, up, and away to our Row W seats.
It was warm that day, my friends. Even for an Arizonan, 90 degrees and humid, in the sun for 7 hours, is no joke. I'm telling you, my nailpolish melted to the consistency of asphalt on a July Arizona day. I'm not gonna lie - after my Chichen Itza experience, I was worried that I would be miserable in the heat all day. But I came well-prepared, with lots of sunblock, water, and of course my Gigantic Hat.
Dustin had to use it a little too.
While we were waiting for the first match to start, we hung out in the shade near the overpriced water and sandwiches, and who did we happen to see but Dustin's friends from high school and current ping-pong nemeses, Chris and Rodrigo.
They were in the same section but a little bit closer. The match started and it was so cool! Like a baseball game, but classier. They still played pop music between games, but every time something good happened everyone applauded politely and gasped genteelly at crucial moments. And they sold champagne alongside the beer.
This was what our view was really like. I guess we were pretty high up, but it still felt intimate, you could see everything that happened, and there was a nice breeze up there.
Breezes aside, we still needed some good Italian Ice.
Djokovic won the first match, easy as pie, it seemed.
After a delicious lunch of Carnegie Deli sandwiches and chicken fingers, we came back to our spot and I reapplied my SPF faithfully.
Then it was onto the match we had all been waiting for: Federer vs. Davydenko.
The place was a little more crowded for that one.
However, we got a call from Rodrigo, who had moved down to the loge level, since not all of the seats were filled - and he had two seats open next to him. So we upgraded as well.
The court seemed so much smaller then!
In other news tonight, I took a shining to the 'do my hairstylist gave me while cutting my hair last night.
I think I could rock it. Also, check out this photo that my mom sent me, of Halloween '92:

Once a mermaid, always a mermaid. Ah, how things have changed... and yet, not changed at all.
Have a happy week everyone!
love,
*jenna*

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home