Like, totally polyphonic, man!
Post-publishing note: I've noticed that there has been a spike in my page viewings for this page in the last few days, but I don't know what site is linking to me. Anybody care to leave a comment and let me know? Thanks.
Now onto business. Not last Friday (yesterday) but the Friday before that, Dustin acquired tickets to The Polyphonic Spree concert, because his cousin Louie is keyboardist for Rooney, the opening band. They were playing at the new NYC concert venue Terminal 5. I excitedly told him I would attend, but lo! Work calls loudly for my attention at all hours of all days. I agreed to meet him as soon as I got out. I unfortunately missed the glory of Rooney.

Don't worry. He entertained himself by making good use of the dramatic lighting in the VIP section.

I did miss the opening of the P. Spree, confetti and all.

Cute girly backup dancer/singers.

Luckily, I got there about five minutes after the main event began, and even got my own V.I.P. sticker. All-Access, baby!!

Though my cellie was dead, when I arrived I thought, "Okay. If I were Dustin and I had all-access, where would I be?" I looked up to above the left of the stage, and sure enough, there he was, rockin' out. I joined him, feelin' all schmancy with my sticker, and wondered if we'd get to go backstage (we didn't).
The cute girls were still a-rockin'.

The lead singer climbed down to the pit and began carousing among the revelers, to their great delight.


Though the concert's energy was rather reminiscent of the Flaming Lips, the singer reminds me of Jack White in a way (but less cute).

So I want to be a cute girl backup singer/dancer, so what?

There was even a glorious harpist.

This is what I love about The Polyphonic Spree. Unlike some bands, whose recorded material sounds vast and epic with tons of elaborately used instruments, then they get to the stage and it's a coupla guys with guitars and one girl with a synthesizer, this band brings the whole party on the road. Trumpeters, French horn players, flutists, guitarists, two drummers, and cute backup girls.

Usually I'm not into checking out people's reactions to bands (unless it's for character research) because people (especially when drunk) look so corny that it's even embarrassing for me to look at. I know that sounds snotty, but I admit that I too am guilty of it. I just feel so corny seeing it happen. However, at this show, the sound was so epic and full that everyone, bathed in the disco lights and confetti remnants, swayed and sang along earnestly to each song. Everyone looked like they were having beautiful experiences, and that was beautiful to watch (especially from our vantage point). Men and women wrapped their arms around each other, dancing sweetly, closing their eyes. I spotted a surprising number of people (men, even), swaying back and forth with their hands over their hearts and singing along.


At one point, two of the horn players jumped into the sea of music enthusiasts.

More confetti abounded as the Spree played a completely amazing rendition of Nirvana's "Lithium." I tells ya, there's nothing that unites an audience like a song that is a part of everyone's youth and recent-but-not-very-recent past.


We were lucky to see them on their second-to-last show of the tour. They all seemed so happy to be together, a big touring family.

Afterwards, Dustin tried to get me into the good lighting, but I don't think it worked out as well with me as it did him.

So we spent some time in the V.I.P. blue bathrooms and both took pictures of ourselves in them.


I'm really in a looking-down phase. After that glorious experience, we headed downtown for Dustin's friend Althea's birthday party at Kettle Of Fish. We spent a bit of time wittily bantering with these two hilarious genius hipsters, Chris and Olivia. They're much more lighthearted than they look here.

Then there was some business with this chick (on the left) who met Dustin many moons ago but knew him as Ricardo.

They had Pac-Man arcade games.

It was good to see Matt, Althea's boyfriend, with whom she just purchased an apartment in fair Brooklyn.

Fellow Boggle fanatic Carolyn showed up with some Canadian pals.

D. got all excited over these old-school desks.

There's the woman of the night herself, with her cute glasses, flanked by Carolina and Howard.

Scorpios unite!

A successful Friday night. That's all for today, kiddies. I'll blog Thanksgiving later on this week. Until then, adieu!
love,
*jenna*
Now onto business. Not last Friday (yesterday) but the Friday before that, Dustin acquired tickets to The Polyphonic Spree concert, because his cousin Louie is keyboardist for Rooney, the opening band. They were playing at the new NYC concert venue Terminal 5. I excitedly told him I would attend, but lo! Work calls loudly for my attention at all hours of all days. I agreed to meet him as soon as I got out. I unfortunately missed the glory of Rooney.
Don't worry. He entertained himself by making good use of the dramatic lighting in the VIP section.
I did miss the opening of the P. Spree, confetti and all.
Cute girly backup dancer/singers.
Luckily, I got there about five minutes after the main event began, and even got my own V.I.P. sticker. All-Access, baby!!
Though my cellie was dead, when I arrived I thought, "Okay. If I were Dustin and I had all-access, where would I be?" I looked up to above the left of the stage, and sure enough, there he was, rockin' out. I joined him, feelin' all schmancy with my sticker, and wondered if we'd get to go backstage (we didn't).
The cute girls were still a-rockin'.
The lead singer climbed down to the pit and began carousing among the revelers, to their great delight.
Though the concert's energy was rather reminiscent of the Flaming Lips, the singer reminds me of Jack White in a way (but less cute).
So I want to be a cute girl backup singer/dancer, so what?
There was even a glorious harpist.
This is what I love about The Polyphonic Spree. Unlike some bands, whose recorded material sounds vast and epic with tons of elaborately used instruments, then they get to the stage and it's a coupla guys with guitars and one girl with a synthesizer, this band brings the whole party on the road. Trumpeters, French horn players, flutists, guitarists, two drummers, and cute backup girls.
Usually I'm not into checking out people's reactions to bands (unless it's for character research) because people (especially when drunk) look so corny that it's even embarrassing for me to look at. I know that sounds snotty, but I admit that I too am guilty of it. I just feel so corny seeing it happen. However, at this show, the sound was so epic and full that everyone, bathed in the disco lights and confetti remnants, swayed and sang along earnestly to each song. Everyone looked like they were having beautiful experiences, and that was beautiful to watch (especially from our vantage point). Men and women wrapped their arms around each other, dancing sweetly, closing their eyes. I spotted a surprising number of people (men, even), swaying back and forth with their hands over their hearts and singing along.
At one point, two of the horn players jumped into the sea of music enthusiasts.
More confetti abounded as the Spree played a completely amazing rendition of Nirvana's "Lithium." I tells ya, there's nothing that unites an audience like a song that is a part of everyone's youth and recent-but-not-very-recent past.
We were lucky to see them on their second-to-last show of the tour. They all seemed so happy to be together, a big touring family.
Afterwards, Dustin tried to get me into the good lighting, but I don't think it worked out as well with me as it did him.
So we spent some time in the V.I.P. blue bathrooms and both took pictures of ourselves in them.
I'm really in a looking-down phase. After that glorious experience, we headed downtown for Dustin's friend Althea's birthday party at Kettle Of Fish. We spent a bit of time wittily bantering with these two hilarious genius hipsters, Chris and Olivia. They're much more lighthearted than they look here.
Then there was some business with this chick (on the left) who met Dustin many moons ago but knew him as Ricardo.
They had Pac-Man arcade games.
It was good to see Matt, Althea's boyfriend, with whom she just purchased an apartment in fair Brooklyn.
Fellow Boggle fanatic Carolyn showed up with some Canadian pals.
D. got all excited over these old-school desks.
There's the woman of the night herself, with her cute glasses, flanked by Carolina and Howard.
Scorpios unite!
A successful Friday night. That's all for today, kiddies. I'll blog Thanksgiving later on this week. Until then, adieu!
love,
*jenna*

3 Comments:
i saw Polyphonic Spree on tv recently. really unique and remarkable!
by the way, now i KNOW we're related, 'cause MY secret (till now!) fantasy is to be a back-up singer for, like, billy joel...
Yes! Every time I listen to that album "The Bridge" especially the song "Matter of Trust" I just dream of an alternate reality where I'm an amazing rock star and I pay homage to Billy J. by covering that song! Ha ha... you can be my backup singer in that alternate reality.
the Polyphonic Spree's official blog, www.thefragilearmy.blogspot.com, is what led me to your site, if that helps explain the spike in visitors.
Post a Comment
<< Home