Monday, November 05, 2007

Scorpios Unite!

Halloween is my boy's birthday. Usually he's not that into dressing up and such, but this year he made use of his mustache and was a 1950s strongman.


He even won second place in PS 260's annual costume contest.


But he was no match for our receptionist, Momo-bot.


Her homemade costume got her first place, I think based mainly on the fact that she wore it all day and answered phones like that.


In my opinion, Rob had the most original (and obscure) costume. He dressed up as Jun Diaz, an editor who sometimes uses our facilities and who has been recently seen in the offices working with Maury, this time as a director.


It's like Good Jun versus Evil Jun.


We celebrated both the Dia De Los Muertos and Dustin's cumpleano, with Mitch (aka Dolly Parton) settin' up the ice cream cake.


Dustin was totally surprised.



Rob made Dustin a special birthday card, which we all signed.


It was me at the Mermaid Parade, but my tassels were covered in a homemade scratch-off, lottery-style.


Unfortunately for D., when scratched it said "Better luck next time!"


Everyone merrily posed in their costumes.


And then Mitch sang us all a song (I believe it was "9 To 5").


Then Dustin and I went out to dinner with the Stephens parents and Dustin's sis Phoebe, in all her fabulous fashionable beauty.



They dressed up a wee bit.


I'm not a big sushi eater, but this place was amazing. I had a scallop sushi that tasted nothing like fish, with a texture unlike any other food I've ever had. Its flavor was something incredibly familiar yet unidentifiable, like some kind of perfume from my childhood. I don't know, but it was amazing.


The celebration continued with the dessert sampler avec candles.


Dustin got some cash and a "Big Lebowski" book from his parents, as well as an ultra-fabulous iPhone from Pheebs.


I got him a far less extravagant pair of official Mexico soccer jerseys.


I think he liked it anyway.


However, what I wasn't expecting was the Stephens family to give me a gift for my b-day. It was a gorgeous new winter coat (much needed) from Urban Outfitters. They know me too well.


It's gonna be warm!


Directly following, we got dressed up and went to a party at Dustin's friend/client's house. He's been working with Frankie on a series of shorts called "Li'l Hipsters" for the website Kid America Club. They're very cool, and so was the party.


Frankie and his boys dressed up in homemade lizard costumes.


Friday night blessed us with one of the most gorgeous sunsets I've ever seen in New York.


Even Sadie The Dog could appreciate it.


That night was Borgfest '07, a party that I bullied my coworker Ned Borgman into having. See, he's a very efficient, polite and smart assistant at PS 260. A little too perfect. One day, I went to put something in my drawer at work, and accidentally opened his. There was nothing in the drawer except his messenger bag. Meanwhile, my drawer is filled with notebooks, CDs, pairs of shoes, about 4 shirts, my video camera, my external hard drive, you get the point. I realized that my drawer is just like my bedroom, and theorized that Ned's bedroom follows the same phenomenon. So I told his sister Evann to trick him into having a party so I could test my theory (which she accomplished by saying, "Ned, you should have a party"). Thus, the Borgfest '07 was born. A bunch of us from work went over on Friday and had a grand old time. All I have to say is, we did a lot of dancing on the coffee table.



... and his bedroom is the complete opposite of mine. Spotless.

On Saturday, I decided to get some new boots for winter, as by last March I wanted to burn mine because I'm so sick of them. My friend Stephanie got some new kicks at a place called Co-Pilot, so I went and I don't think I even saw another pair of boots besides these ones.


They are, to me, totally amazing. Shiny, red, comfortable, weather-proof. I bought them in about half a second. I am completely in love with them. They're my birthday boots, and I got them with some money my mama sent me for my b-day.

Sigh.

They're the perfect shoes for a Scorpio like myself to have, because dark red is our color. Are you surprised? I sure am not. For my birthday on Sunday, Dustin took me and my shoes to one of my new favorite brunch places, Nice Matin (I think that's "good morning" in French?), which we discovered when my dad and Dana came to town. They have delicious coffee and the most outta-this-world pancakes. I just had to kiss 'em.


And Dustin is quite fond of their bacon, though I prefer mine to be a bit crispier.


I was pensive thinking about the last 27 years, but only for a moment.


There was too much fun to be had in the city. We tried to go to a shooting range (one of Dustin's friends said it's a great thing to do on your birthday) but we got there too late. So, after D. patiently accompanied me to Anthropologie and Sephora (just for looking around... and maybe a special barrette or two), we went to Bowlmor Lanes, one of the only bowling alleys in the city. It was fun and kind of gross and nostalgic all at the same time.




I used to be... well, not "good" at bowling, but at least mediocre. I enjoy it quite a bit and wish it wasn't so expensive in New York. But here, I think the wood in our lane must have been warped or something, because no matter what I did, the ball veered to the left at the last second almost every time.

I gave it my Popeye Frustration Look.



As you can see, Dustin, (the E.F. below) kicked my booty.


And oddly enough, we saw the Bank of America commercial we just finished on TV during one of my turns. You know, even after seeing your commercial fifteen hundred times at work, it's still oddly satisfying to see it on TV.


Once in awhile I'd get a few pins knocked down.


For dinner we went to Emilio's Ballatto, a little Italian joint on Houston that Phoebe recommended. It was de-lish!



... and they make a yummy cannoli to boot. When we got back to Dustin's to watch the season premiere of "The Amazing Race," Dusty gave me a very sweet card...


... and a very cool hoodie from the Of Montreal concert I missed while I was in Arizona last month. I heart it!


AND! a gift certificate to get a much-needed deep-tissue massage at the spa a few floors down from PS 260. The lovely day was gift enough, but I was very excited to get these two items as well.


Happy birthday to me!



love,
*jenna*

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

your birth mother must ask...is that a new "tatt" you are sporting on your upper arm??

3:34 PM  
Blogger jenna said...

No worries! It was for my Halloween costume.

6:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL!

loved, LOVED the red boots!! my daughter is the bomb, she is.


mums

9:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home