Best. Birthday. Ever.
Let me tell you about one of the best nights of my life.
As you know, this election was not only important for the world, but I in particular had a lot invested in it, as 1) it was my birthday and 2) I had spent the last two months volunteering for the Obama campaign almost every weekend and even some weeknights, and went to PA twice to spread the word. I had a good feeling all day, but figured it was probably just because it was my birthday, and the good feeling mixed with great anxiety about how the night would turn out. I kept picturing Cindy McCain as our first lady and would shudder. I spent all day hoping and praying that our country would get their act together and vote correctly for once, and preparing myself for what would surely be a late night.
Meanwhile, my coworkers gathered at Brandname downstairs to "surprise" me with a birthday celebration.


I was on the phone with my dad when Tanya, producer for Brandname, called up and lied to me about there being a problem with one of our jobs that I'd been finishing. "Oh, what, should I come down or something?" I said facetiously, knowing what was in store. Oh yes, CANNOLI were in store.

I came down and pretended to be surprised, anxious to dig into those sweet, delicious beauties.

I blew out my candles with only one wish. You know what it was.

For my birthday, I decided to invite some peeps out to a local bar, Belmont Lounge, to watch the results and celebrate my existence. The bar had set up a big screen to show the results. For the occasion, I commissioned one of our graphic assistants, Michael, to create this image for my invite. I totally heart it.
Naturally, most of my guests were friends from PS. We had gathered in the kitchen and began to watch the results before heading down to Belmont.

Shannon and her boy Mike came out, as well as my new friend Masozi, with whom I campaigned in PA last weekend.
Don't you LOVE Shannon's hair decoration?

We chilled, laughed, and hoped that the evening would turn out right.


It being a rather big night, New Yorkers know how to celebrate - so of course there were multiple election parties going on. By the time 11pm rolled around, Dustin showed up after working late and soon it was just him and me watching the results.
Obama took PA, and I rejoiced, proud of myself. He took Ohio, and Dustin suggested we hang around just to see Florida, because at least then we'd be able to sleep at night. Honestly, I never expected to see the results that night. I was afraid it'd be a recount/Supreme Court situation to endure for weeks to come.
But suddenly, I looked up as they showed a "BREAKING NEWS" transition and saw this.

I could not believe it. The whole bar cheered, laughed, cried, hugged, texted.

I was freaking out and I have to admit I could not stop crying. And it takes a lot to make me cry.

The scene was unbelievable. The good vibes were undeniable.


Everywhere you looked, people were huddled around their phones, texting friends furiously.


I will never forget this feeling.

I didn't quite believe it until McCain came out to give his concession speech - then I knew it was real. Hope, gratification, faith, relief, and pure joy overtook me. When Obama came on to give his speech, the lounge silenced and everyone watched with focused attention.





I watched with my hands clasped over my mouth or over my heart, and with every uplifting statement, I stood up and cheered. I was SO. HAPPY.

Then it was time to celebrate! This girl in the white coat had the SAME BIRTHDAY as me! Born in 1980 and everything! So weird that we celebrated at the same place on the same night.

The bar owner gave a round to the whole bar and toasted us all.

Wooo!

The bar is on a side street near Union Square, and as we left you could hear resounding cheers echoing in the distance from every direction. We reached the Square and there were hundreds of people cheering, dancing, hugging complete strangers. It was like New Year's Eve.



This chick saw me carrying a "Happy Birthday" gift bag and lifted me up, twirling me around in happiness. She was kind of weird.

We would walk down the street towards the train, and to every person or group I passed, I would yell, "WOOOOOO!" or "OBAMAAAHHHHHHHH!" and get a victorious cheer in response. As we hopped onto the train, I shouted, "OBAMAAA! It's my BIRTHDAY!!!" and the whole car cheered. It was amazing to walk around and see every single person in New York with an odd, dazed smile on their face, united for one night in victory. It was the best birthday of my life, and hey! I got what I wished for!!


love,
*jenna*
As you know, this election was not only important for the world, but I in particular had a lot invested in it, as 1) it was my birthday and 2) I had spent the last two months volunteering for the Obama campaign almost every weekend and even some weeknights, and went to PA twice to spread the word. I had a good feeling all day, but figured it was probably just because it was my birthday, and the good feeling mixed with great anxiety about how the night would turn out. I kept picturing Cindy McCain as our first lady and would shudder. I spent all day hoping and praying that our country would get their act together and vote correctly for once, and preparing myself for what would surely be a late night.
Meanwhile, my coworkers gathered at Brandname downstairs to "surprise" me with a birthday celebration.
I was on the phone with my dad when Tanya, producer for Brandname, called up and lied to me about there being a problem with one of our jobs that I'd been finishing. "Oh, what, should I come down or something?" I said facetiously, knowing what was in store. Oh yes, CANNOLI were in store.
I came down and pretended to be surprised, anxious to dig into those sweet, delicious beauties.
I blew out my candles with only one wish. You know what it was.
For my birthday, I decided to invite some peeps out to a local bar, Belmont Lounge, to watch the results and celebrate my existence. The bar had set up a big screen to show the results. For the occasion, I commissioned one of our graphic assistants, Michael, to create this image for my invite. I totally heart it.
Naturally, most of my guests were friends from PS. We had gathered in the kitchen and began to watch the results before heading down to Belmont.Shannon and her boy Mike came out, as well as my new friend Masozi, with whom I campaigned in PA last weekend.
Don't you LOVE Shannon's hair decoration?
We chilled, laughed, and hoped that the evening would turn out right.
It being a rather big night, New Yorkers know how to celebrate - so of course there were multiple election parties going on. By the time 11pm rolled around, Dustin showed up after working late and soon it was just him and me watching the results.
But suddenly, I looked up as they showed a "BREAKING NEWS" transition and saw this.
I could not believe it. The whole bar cheered, laughed, cried, hugged, texted.
I was freaking out and I have to admit I could not stop crying. And it takes a lot to make me cry.
The scene was unbelievable. The good vibes were undeniable.
Everywhere you looked, people were huddled around their phones, texting friends furiously.
I will never forget this feeling.
I didn't quite believe it until McCain came out to give his concession speech - then I knew it was real. Hope, gratification, faith, relief, and pure joy overtook me. When Obama came on to give his speech, the lounge silenced and everyone watched with focused attention.
I watched with my hands clasped over my mouth or over my heart, and with every uplifting statement, I stood up and cheered. I was SO. HAPPY.
Then it was time to celebrate! This girl in the white coat had the SAME BIRTHDAY as me! Born in 1980 and everything! So weird that we celebrated at the same place on the same night.
The bar owner gave a round to the whole bar and toasted us all.
Wooo!
The bar is on a side street near Union Square, and as we left you could hear resounding cheers echoing in the distance from every direction. We reached the Square and there were hundreds of people cheering, dancing, hugging complete strangers. It was like New Year's Eve.
This chick saw me carrying a "Happy Birthday" gift bag and lifted me up, twirling me around in happiness. She was kind of weird.
We would walk down the street towards the train, and to every person or group I passed, I would yell, "WOOOOOO!" or "OBAMAAAHHHHHHHH!" and get a victorious cheer in response. As we hopped onto the train, I shouted, "OBAMAAA! It's my BIRTHDAY!!!" and the whole car cheered. It was amazing to walk around and see every single person in New York with an odd, dazed smile on their face, united for one night in victory. It was the best birthday of my life, and hey! I got what I wished for!!
love,
*jenna*

1 Comments:
What an AWESOME night! The picture of you crying is amazing. It made me get all teary eyed. You can see just how happy you felt that night. It's a great feeling. It IS your birthday week...so one more time...HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
Post a Comment
<< Home