Friday, December 17, 2010

Top Chef: Christmas Edition

Something about my boss I've learned over the years: if I have an idea for a fun thing to do that involves competition, and I casually mention it to her, she will grab onto the idea and never let it go until it is completed and a winner firmly announced. For example, I recently said, "Did you know Donna has never made a gingerbread house? Wouldn't it be fun if we had a night where we all made gingerbread houses? Maybe like in teams?

Thus, the first annual PS260 Gingerbread Housemaking Contest was born.

Divided into 4 groups of 5, we had 45 minutes to build our structures on Wednesday and 35 minutes to decorate on Thursday. Our pieces had to be 100% edible.




This pretty much says it all: devising and drinking.





We worked quite well in our teams. My team (The Candy Coalition: Working For Freedom In Architecture... name courtesy of my imagination, thank you) decided to do what seemed impossible: The Empire State Building. Three of us on Wednesday night worked hard on the physics of composition.


Meanwhile, other teams were heard discussing strategy and racing against the clock.






... while, of course, having fun. It was like two nights of a Top Chef Quickfire Challenge.



I love this picture - me with a butcher knife and Reilly looking terrified.


By the end of the first building night, a lot of the teams' efforts looked... well, lackluster.


Couldn't figure out what that was going to be. But ours... well, we were even impressed with ourselves!


Night 2 brought the biggest collection of candy I'd ever seen on one table. And by PS260 standards, that is saying a lot.


This team made Pee-Wee's Playhouse!



While the team Baking Bad created a sinking Titanic!


Our team used Dots candies to mimic the same colors lighting the ESB as that very night: red and green. We used Raisinettes for the windows and Gummi Bears as interracial couples kissing beneath mistletoe. We even used our required Gingerbread Man as a King Kong, and a little red Gummi Bear as his Fay Wray.






The Gingerheads: Carpet Matches The Drapes created an outhouse, complete with cotton candy toilet paper roll and Hershey's Kiss in the toilet. I really liked their moon cutout on the door, which, as anyone who's ever worked in the graham cracker medium can tell you, is extremely difficult.






The honored judge was one of our clients, Tim, whose work on M&M's campaigns made him specially qualified to judge our candied creations.



And guess what?! Our team was tied for 1st place. We got Most Impressive while the Gingerheads got Most Creative.


Either way, the results were delicious.


Big ups to Ned, whose photographs turned out amazing! He's a good supplement for me while I don't have a camera!

love,

*jenna*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home