Thursday, March 24, 2011

Guilty Pleasure

So, the other day I stumbled upon this amazingness:



And have not been able to stop watching it since. If there has ever been a more awkward television appearance, I don't want to see it. (no, I take that back, I totally do.)

So then I became obsessed with this "Giorgio" character and started looking around for some kind of album to download that would feature this "Looky Looky" business. I found he was actually called Giorgio Moroder and had a hit album called "From Here To Eternity" so I absentmindedly downloaded that.

And what I heard kind of blew me away.


First of all, the mustache. Second of all, as it turns out, according to this excellent Pitchfork review, Moroder was "the first person to produce an entirely digital LP." As in, electro music. I had accidentally downloaded a marvel, and listening to it beginning to end I got completely lost in this disco. Like, I actually kind of felt like I was lost in an actual disco for a second.



Wish I was a music video editor back in the '70s. The entire Side A of this album (if one were to listen in album form) is several songs connected seamlessly using just the one beat. It kind of lulls you into submission. You can see how I got lost.

In a promotional video I saw while I was perusing Giorgio music videos, there's a part where he says, "I really don't like to perform live. I went on tour in Europe for 7 or 8 years and every night it was a little nightmare." Ahahahahahaa, you don't say??

Anyway, for all you've done for the ravers, the Eurotrashers, the disco dancers, and the electro-pop lovers (such as me)... thank you, Giorgio.

love,
*jenna*

5 Comments:

Blogger Valerie said...

Somebody gave up television for Lent!

11:45 PM  
Blogger Valerie said...

No, but seriously, this was so interesting. Such fun watching it all. YOU are so interesting.

11:47 PM  
Blogger jenna said...

You think they play these obscure things on the telly????

No, I found it all on the internets! Which, as I'm fast finding out, is just as much of a time-suck as television (but with more potential to learn, if used properly and not on sites like Failbook.com for two hours).

10:29 AM  
Blogger Valerie said...

That was precisely my point. Life sans t.v. opens up such a new and sometimes bizarre alternate universe.

2:52 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

genius!

10:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home