New York: When it's good, it's THE BEST.
This sunny Saturday I forgot my camera during my adventures around this once-again beautiful city, as the town came alive once again with the rise of the temperature (70 degrees!!!) and the people emerged from their apartments and brownstones like worms from a dampened log. Some things I would have photographed to share with you:
1) A lanky, thin man wearing a pinstripe suit, fedora, and handlebar mustache (not unlike the one I kiss nightly) and bright, sharp blue eyes.
2) A banjo player
3) A mime
4) Art sales flourishing along Museum Mile
5) Kids eating ice cream
I cannot conceivably count the number of times I sighed audibly in contentment (at least 7 times while walking along Central Park), nor can I count the number of little smiling babies I saw, nor the the amount of involuntary, almost secret smiles on the faces of people emerging from winter - including the one on my own face.
However, on Sunday I remembered my camera as Dustin and I attended the Armory Show, an annual gathering of about 150 art galleries from all over the world showing samples of their collections. We were there for about 4 hours and felt rushed. It was amazing. Plus, we saw Matt Dillon; I was looking at one collection and turned to look for Dustin and suddenly he was just standing three inches from my face, looking at me with that furrowed-eyebrow thing he does. Not as tall as you would think; but I guess that's the case with most celebrities, models excluded.
Some memorable items:

This exhibit (Raymond Pettibon) was where we saw Matt Dillon:

Look at the size of this face!! And the mustache!!!
I found that I'm not the only collagist (collage-ist?) in this world. This one was absolutely amazing (wall-sized), by Gabi Trinkaus:

And this collage wasn't half-bad either, though none of it could hold a candle to the Rauschenberg exhibit we saw the day before:

This one was really cool because it had an intentional glare. I kept trying to take pictures of it and finally was like, Oh. It's supposed to be that way.

We saw some amazing textures.

Oh-so-clever art:

Even light installations:

With a gallery representative who looked less than thrilled by the whole experience:
For a full run-down (accompanied by music), you can check out the Quicktime that Dustin made of his photos of that day:
http://ps260.com/elfollador/Armory06.mp4
To see the pics individually you can just scroll through the timeline.
And finally, when we left, here was some good old New York subway art:

We ended the night with a mad dash to catch the M-50 bus, the energy expenditure of which sapped our exhausted art-loving bodies. We had a nice li'l dinner at the Thai restaurant Klong, which never fails to satisfy.
Happy Art Weekend!!
1) A lanky, thin man wearing a pinstripe suit, fedora, and handlebar mustache (not unlike the one I kiss nightly) and bright, sharp blue eyes.
2) A banjo player
3) A mime
4) Art sales flourishing along Museum Mile
5) Kids eating ice cream
I cannot conceivably count the number of times I sighed audibly in contentment (at least 7 times while walking along Central Park), nor can I count the number of little smiling babies I saw, nor the the amount of involuntary, almost secret smiles on the faces of people emerging from winter - including the one on my own face.
However, on Sunday I remembered my camera as Dustin and I attended the Armory Show, an annual gathering of about 150 art galleries from all over the world showing samples of their collections. We were there for about 4 hours and felt rushed. It was amazing. Plus, we saw Matt Dillon; I was looking at one collection and turned to look for Dustin and suddenly he was just standing three inches from my face, looking at me with that furrowed-eyebrow thing he does. Not as tall as you would think; but I guess that's the case with most celebrities, models excluded.
Some memorable items:

This exhibit (Raymond Pettibon) was where we saw Matt Dillon:


Look at the size of this face!! And the mustache!!!
I found that I'm not the only collagist (collage-ist?) in this world. This one was absolutely amazing (wall-sized), by Gabi Trinkaus:
And this collage wasn't half-bad either, though none of it could hold a candle to the Rauschenberg exhibit we saw the day before:
This one was really cool because it had an intentional glare. I kept trying to take pictures of it and finally was like, Oh. It's supposed to be that way.

We saw some amazing textures.

Oh-so-clever art:
Even light installations:

With a gallery representative who looked less than thrilled by the whole experience:
For a full run-down (accompanied by music), you can check out the Quicktime that Dustin made of his photos of that day:http://ps260.com/elfollador/Armory06.mp4
To see the pics individually you can just scroll through the timeline.
And finally, when we left, here was some good old New York subway art:

We ended the night with a mad dash to catch the M-50 bus, the energy expenditure of which sapped our exhausted art-loving bodies. We had a nice li'l dinner at the Thai restaurant Klong, which never fails to satisfy.
Happy Art Weekend!!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home