THE SKY IS ATTACKING US!!!
On Saturday night I went home amongst fast-melting snow/slush. I woke up the next morning to this:


Walls of snow covering nearly every inch of the city. The thing about snow that always surprises me is the silence of it. Everything is suddenly so quiet. Like everybody at a ruckus party suddenly started whispering. Almost all of the cars, trucks, and buses that usually create the ambient noise of New York are absent, and what is left, and the voices of the few people outside, are absorbed and muffled by the pure white all around. Silence in the city is so rare, and, when paired with the beauty of snow just fallen, is incredibly pure (another rarity for the city).
I made my way towards Dustin's for crossword and TiVO. The journey proved difficult but scenic.

Especially the flora and fauna, so beautiful in the harsh cold.



Going through the Park on the bus, I saw that many people were out to enjoy the long-awaited winter. Lots and lots and LOTS of kids on sleds, pulled by their selfless parents.

Everyone seemed dwarfed by the overwhelming mass of snow.

I've realized that one of my favorite things in life is seeing little kids experiencing snow. They're so amazed by it (I know the feeling) and never seem bothered by the cold (I'm getting there).





Check this out: There's a CAR under there! Feel bad for this sucker (and all of the other suckers who have cars in New York).

Long ago, Dustin and I made a bet about the airdate for final episode of "Seinfeld." I lost. I'm not ashamed. Anyway, the point is that the loser had to buy the winner dessert. I thought maybe cake or some fancy thing at a restaurant. But Dustin wanted Haggen Daas. On the snowiest day in New York history. So we went to Duane Reade to get some pints (and they were delicious).

By the next day, much of the snow had been reduced to piles of slush and gray and brown ice on the roads. But at work, I went up to the roof for the first time in a LONG time and was greeted by untainted, almost un-walked-on loveliness, and sunshine to boot:

Happy Winter!!! (finally)


Walls of snow covering nearly every inch of the city. The thing about snow that always surprises me is the silence of it. Everything is suddenly so quiet. Like everybody at a ruckus party suddenly started whispering. Almost all of the cars, trucks, and buses that usually create the ambient noise of New York are absent, and what is left, and the voices of the few people outside, are absorbed and muffled by the pure white all around. Silence in the city is so rare, and, when paired with the beauty of snow just fallen, is incredibly pure (another rarity for the city).
I made my way towards Dustin's for crossword and TiVO. The journey proved difficult but scenic.

Especially the flora and fauna, so beautiful in the harsh cold.



Going through the Park on the bus, I saw that many people were out to enjoy the long-awaited winter. Lots and lots and LOTS of kids on sleds, pulled by their selfless parents.

Everyone seemed dwarfed by the overwhelming mass of snow.

I've realized that one of my favorite things in life is seeing little kids experiencing snow. They're so amazed by it (I know the feeling) and never seem bothered by the cold (I'm getting there).





Check this out: There's a CAR under there! Feel bad for this sucker (and all of the other suckers who have cars in New York).

Long ago, Dustin and I made a bet about the airdate for final episode of "Seinfeld." I lost. I'm not ashamed. Anyway, the point is that the loser had to buy the winner dessert. I thought maybe cake or some fancy thing at a restaurant. But Dustin wanted Haggen Daas. On the snowiest day in New York history. So we went to Duane Reade to get some pints (and they were delicious).

By the next day, much of the snow had been reduced to piles of slush and gray and brown ice on the roads. But at work, I went up to the roof for the first time in a LONG time and was greeted by untainted, almost un-walked-on loveliness, and sunshine to boot:

Happy Winter!!! (finally)

2 Comments:
G-ma is watching you!!
and your commentary.
Post a Comment
<< Home