Christmas, PS-Style.
Last Friday was the fete of the season, at least for all who work at PS260: our annual holiday party. Earlier in the day, Maury and I exchanged gifts... I gave him a McSweeney's book and he capitalized on my newfound record-playing opportunities by giving me three awesome albums, all first-edition: T-Rex, Led Zeppelin's Houses Of The Holy, and Andy Williams' Greatest Hits. He knows me too well. I seriously wanted to cry.
Brand-new assistant producer Kelley got things started off by popping the cork on our bottle of champagne.

We began the night with that staple of all office holiday parties, the Secret Santa gift exchange. Dustin, as in every year past, acted as emcee and gift distributer.

We received some great gifts.






Robert audibly gasped in an innocent show of delight the likes of which I'd never seen when he opened his gift... the DVD of one of his favorite bad movies, "Deep Blue Sea."

It was a generally awesome, fun-filled hour and a half.




Sarra was my Secret Santa. She gave me Cosmos, by Carl Sagan, after blatantly asking me what I wanted for Christmas (I foolishly never made the connection).

I had this shirt specially made for former rowing superstar Ned.

Stephanie received... lingerie. (?) Very soon afterward her Secret Santa got a good talking-to.

Barbara, our terrific accountant, proposed a toast and declared that in all of her working years, she had never worked for such a wonderful trio of men as our bosses, JJ, Maury and John.

Then we all gathered in the assistants' room to watch Robert's favorite scene of "Deep Blue Sea." (Hint: it involves Samuel L. Jackson and a shark.)

We all piled into the elevator...

... and walked a few blocks down the road...

... to our dinner at a Korean barbecue joint.


Barbara told some crazy tales of when she was our age.


We surprised Zarina with an early cake for her birthday (which would be the following Monday).

Then, for some unknown reason, the editors started looking a little crazy.


I dunno. Anyway, after dinner, we all headed to a karaoke place on the Lower East Side. When we got there, Ned was already trying to choose a song.

... and Maury & wife Amy were well into their first duet of the evening.


There's nothing like seeing your boss let loose.

... or the company accountant.

Ned finally found something suitable for his mood and voice... unfortunately, nobody knows what song that was.

Entertaining, to say the least.

Dustin joined in to sing "La Bamba."

It got everyone jazzed.

You don't think I would miss out on group humiliation, do you? Heck no! The first of my many songs was "Whole Lotta Love" by Led Zeppelin (typical).

The best thing about a private karaoke room is that pretty much everyone sings along with you, so you don't feel like TOO much of an idiot.

JJ and wife Lilia sang the theme to "Good Times."


You know that got people all riled up.

I got up for my 2nd round, to join Rob in a duet of Mr. Big's "To Be With You."

Maury and Sarra combo'd on "99 Problems."

And before the night was through, I got up (again, but this time on Zarina's urging) to perform a Madonna song with Sarra's help.

Dustin and I left before we got the chance to perform "Summer Lovin'." Thank God.

love,
*jenna*
Brand-new assistant producer Kelley got things started off by popping the cork on our bottle of champagne.

We began the night with that staple of all office holiday parties, the Secret Santa gift exchange. Dustin, as in every year past, acted as emcee and gift distributer.

We received some great gifts.






Robert audibly gasped in an innocent show of delight the likes of which I'd never seen when he opened his gift... the DVD of one of his favorite bad movies, "Deep Blue Sea."

It was a generally awesome, fun-filled hour and a half.




Sarra was my Secret Santa. She gave me Cosmos, by Carl Sagan, after blatantly asking me what I wanted for Christmas (I foolishly never made the connection).

I had this shirt specially made for former rowing superstar Ned.

Stephanie received... lingerie. (?) Very soon afterward her Secret Santa got a good talking-to.

Barbara, our terrific accountant, proposed a toast and declared that in all of her working years, she had never worked for such a wonderful trio of men as our bosses, JJ, Maury and John.

Then we all gathered in the assistants' room to watch Robert's favorite scene of "Deep Blue Sea." (Hint: it involves Samuel L. Jackson and a shark.)

We all piled into the elevator...

... and walked a few blocks down the road...

... to our dinner at a Korean barbecue joint.


Barbara told some crazy tales of when she was our age.


We surprised Zarina with an early cake for her birthday (which would be the following Monday).

Then, for some unknown reason, the editors started looking a little crazy.


I dunno. Anyway, after dinner, we all headed to a karaoke place on the Lower East Side. When we got there, Ned was already trying to choose a song.

... and Maury & wife Amy were well into their first duet of the evening.


There's nothing like seeing your boss let loose.

... or the company accountant.

Ned finally found something suitable for his mood and voice... unfortunately, nobody knows what song that was.

Entertaining, to say the least.

Dustin joined in to sing "La Bamba."

It got everyone jazzed.

You don't think I would miss out on group humiliation, do you? Heck no! The first of my many songs was "Whole Lotta Love" by Led Zeppelin (typical).

The best thing about a private karaoke room is that pretty much everyone sings along with you, so you don't feel like TOO much of an idiot.

JJ and wife Lilia sang the theme to "Good Times."


You know that got people all riled up.

I got up for my 2nd round, to join Rob in a duet of Mr. Big's "To Be With You."

Maury and Sarra combo'd on "99 Problems."

And before the night was through, I got up (again, but this time on Zarina's urging) to perform a Madonna song with Sarra's help.

Dustin and I left before we got the chance to perform "Summer Lovin'." Thank God.

love,
*jenna*

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home