Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Wee Ventures...

Some recent activity:

The Cherry Blossom tree at Madison Square Park had begun shedding its blooms, collecting on the fauna below not unlike the snow it gathers in February.


Who would want to leave this beautiful block?


But sometimes we outgrow our surroundings, so off apartment-hunting I went in Brooklyn. I saw two places: one a gorgeous apartment, big beautiful teal bedroom, but in a neighborhood I wouldn't want to come home late from work to. The second was in an amazing neighborhood one block from Prospect Park (the Central Park of Brooklyn) but the apartment itself, a sub-first floor space, was rather dungeon-y. And so the search continues. Luckily in the process I get to explore Brooklyn and its diverse beauties, from graffitti...




... to the park itself, and the glowing, sun-drenched leaves dangling from its trees.




Also this weekend I attended a couple of events from the PEN American Center's writer festival, which is like the New Yorker Festival but solely for writers. The first one I went to was called "Writing Out Loud: Growing Up A Writer" and featured Fatou Diome (a French/Senegalese writer) and another writer whose name I can't remember presently. I just love hearing writers talk about... well, writing, and the writing process, and what drives them and inspires them etc.


Then I also saw a conversation between Adam Gopnik and Catherine Millet, who wrote the memoir The Sexual Life of Catherine M. (and her translator).


She talked less about the process and more about her role in the French politics of the '70s, and its sexual revolution. A fascinating, funny, intelligent, poised woman. In other words, a good role model.

love,
*jenna*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home