Monday, July 21, 2008

Bedroom Decòr Update!

Good Monday to you all! Finally, a bedroom update. It's not as tantalizing as you'd think.

I was at a thrift shop and saw this funky little woven box. Bold red and unusual-looking, I was curious.


I pulled on it and it popped open like this:


It reminds me of that kids' rhyme where you fold your hands: "Here's the church, here's the steeple, open it up and see all the people." Only this is, "Open it up and see all of Jenna's fabulous earrings." I figured that any contraption that could make me gasp with delight and squeal, "Oh cool!" in public was worth $8.

Also, check out this big comfy chair that my boss at PS so generously donated to my cause. Actually, they tried to sell it on Craigslist but no one even responded to the ad, which seems odd to me because it's in absolutely perfect condition, and very comfortable. They were actually going to toss it when I said, "No! No! Let me rescue it!" I fit into it like a kitten in a (very large) lap. Pillows from a Pier 1 sale.


I simply adore this necklace hang. It's so earthy.


I snagged this medicine cabinet for TEN DOLLARS! at a thrift shop and redecorated it. I use it as my Getting Ready Center, as it has a mirror and holds all of my makeup.


And finally, the grandest part of all - my bureau. Well, I don't know if you can call it that. It has two drawers and a set of double doors that open up to two shelves. It also bears the burden of my li'l television. It was pretty ugly when I got it - dingy white paint and corny country-home decals of birds and hearts half scraped off. But I saw it in (yes, of course) a furniture thrift place and, though it hadn't been priced out yet, immediately proclaimed, "I'll take it!"

I liked it because it was sturdy and old and there was no assembly (and inevitable frustration and half-assed failure) involved (unlike the bureau I was going to get for twice the price at Ikea). And I knew I could make it my own. Ergo, vòila:


I painted it gold and found this amazing paper at Dick Blick for the highlight, black with gold accent:


... and cream with gold accent:


Certainly one thing you can't get at Ikea is a recycled fortune. I found this in one of the drawers and painted it right on front.


What do you know? My lucky number's even on it. I love it so. Every day my room feels more like home, which is a strange and lovely feeling.

love,
*jenna*

2 Comments:

Blogger Loraine said...

I love your new room.... and especially all of your great deals. I can imagine that New York thrift stores are quite the adventure! How do you get all of these things home???

2:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your pieces! Now...let me see the room with it all. Or, do I have to wait until October?

You are so creative and crafty. Really, really cool, dear.

5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home