The Popped Collar and The Feather Boa
O, New York! God love ya.

Last week was Ned's birthday. For months we'd been planning our surprise for him - a day when we'd all dress up like Ned. He has a distinct preppy style: collared shirts (often popped), sweater over the shoulders, flip-flops, and unusual shorts. This kid will wear shorts and flip-flops unless it's snowing out. So we all donned our interpretations of Nedediah (I did my hair in a faux-hawk to honor his three days of rawkness).
Katie made a Ned pinata, complete with popped collar and duct tape mohawk.

We gathered in the kitchen for the usual birthday festivities. As it turns out, it's harder than you'd think to keep your collar up. It involves starch. I think Ned starches his shirts. They're always wrinkle-free.

I don't know how he was surprised, since we do this every few weeks for someone's birthday; maybe it was the pinata (damn that tilde! I can't get it to go over the N!!) that surprised him.



I think he was pretty pleased.

Oh those silly runners! Ned IS tall.

Saturday I went with Dustin to a Shanghai Mermaid party, which was thrown partly by Dustin's friend Charlotte, who always throws the craziest parties. The best New Year's Eve party I've ever been to was at her house. Shanghai Mermaid parties move from location to location every month (this time a warehouse in Park Slope), and costumes are strongly encouraged as it's 1920s-Parisian themed. Boys in zoot suits, girls in flapper costumes. There was also a Far East element to it.

Oddly, we ran into one of many erstwhile PS260 runners, Adrian.

It was a crazy fun time.



Oh, and also, there was some burlesque. This lovely lady's first performance of the night yielded not much nudity, but over the course of the night it got more scandalous.

During this performance she was sort of dressed like a koi fish, and there was a huge hook that she would hang her progressively smaller items of clothing, until she floated away on the hook herself. Lucky fisherman!

This chick was just your basic burlesque - and quite good at it.

Very Dita Von Teese - and the live band accompanied her too!

In between the burlesque performances, the band would play old swing, jazz, and bluegrass music. Perfect for dancing - and dance we all did! This couple was awesome.







The saxist went nuts! Totally nuts.

Outside as we were leaving, everyone was sitting out on the steps of the old warehouse, chatting and smoking like it was an old speakeasy.

This girl's costume was absolutely spot-on. She reminded me of Samantha Morton in "Sweet and Lowdown."

A happy time was had by all - and naturally we ran into some fellow revelers on the train back to the city. I have no idea who they are, but they were definitely fun.

Certainly an unforgettable night! I'm already planning my outfit for the next one. It involves a pair of patent leather stilettos I just got from Target.

love,
*jenna*
Last week was Ned's birthday. For months we'd been planning our surprise for him - a day when we'd all dress up like Ned. He has a distinct preppy style: collared shirts (often popped), sweater over the shoulders, flip-flops, and unusual shorts. This kid will wear shorts and flip-flops unless it's snowing out. So we all donned our interpretations of Nedediah (I did my hair in a faux-hawk to honor his three days of rawkness).
Katie made a Ned pinata, complete with popped collar and duct tape mohawk.
We gathered in the kitchen for the usual birthday festivities. As it turns out, it's harder than you'd think to keep your collar up. It involves starch. I think Ned starches his shirts. They're always wrinkle-free.
I don't know how he was surprised, since we do this every few weeks for someone's birthday; maybe it was the pinata (damn that tilde! I can't get it to go over the N!!) that surprised him.
I think he was pretty pleased.
Oh those silly runners! Ned IS tall.
Saturday I went with Dustin to a Shanghai Mermaid party, which was thrown partly by Dustin's friend Charlotte, who always throws the craziest parties. The best New Year's Eve party I've ever been to was at her house. Shanghai Mermaid parties move from location to location every month (this time a warehouse in Park Slope), and costumes are strongly encouraged as it's 1920s-Parisian themed. Boys in zoot suits, girls in flapper costumes. There was also a Far East element to it.
Oddly, we ran into one of many erstwhile PS260 runners, Adrian.
It was a crazy fun time.
Oh, and also, there was some burlesque. This lovely lady's first performance of the night yielded not much nudity, but over the course of the night it got more scandalous.
During this performance she was sort of dressed like a koi fish, and there was a huge hook that she would hang her progressively smaller items of clothing, until she floated away on the hook herself. Lucky fisherman!
This chick was just your basic burlesque - and quite good at it.
Very Dita Von Teese - and the live band accompanied her too!
In between the burlesque performances, the band would play old swing, jazz, and bluegrass music. Perfect for dancing - and dance we all did! This couple was awesome.
The saxist went nuts! Totally nuts.
Outside as we were leaving, everyone was sitting out on the steps of the old warehouse, chatting and smoking like it was an old speakeasy.
This girl's costume was absolutely spot-on. She reminded me of Samantha Morton in "Sweet and Lowdown."
A happy time was had by all - and naturally we ran into some fellow revelers on the train back to the city. I have no idea who they are, but they were definitely fun.
Certainly an unforgettable night! I'm already planning my outfit for the next one. It involves a pair of patent leather stilettos I just got from Target.
love,
*jenna*

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home