Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Hot As Hades!

Good God, it has been hot out here. I know y'all in AZ are probably rolling your eyes the way I used to do when anybody not in 113-degree heat complains, but seriously... 100 degrees and humid is enough!

Most of last weekend's activities are going unblogged, as much of it was spent packing, working at the Brooklyn Superhero Supply Store, or going to 826NYC's volunteer BBQ and I didn't want to be the dork with the camera. So, here is an idyllic summer scene from Brooklyn:


I feel like I've only been going to repeats of the same four concerts for the last few years: Of Montreal, The Black Keys, Peaches, and Jamie Lidell. Gotta change it up sometime, but Sunday wasn't the day for it. That night, Momo and I went to the latter's show at Bowery Ballroom.


We caught a glimpse of him as he waited in the wings.


This show, to promote his new album, was quite unlike the others of his that I've been to, in that he actually had a backup band with him. Luckily he kept things shiny and fun.




Especially with a dude wearing a bathrobe and playing the sax...


... and a tambourine man making the rounds among the crowd...


... and a leisure-suited guitarist.




They got low, as all musicians should.




Although he was accompanied by a lively backup band, Lidell still fit in some of his trademark record-and-layer musicianship, courtesy of a Mac laptop and genius music skillz.






And from then on it was a rotation of the two styles.








There were two camera folks making their way around the stage & crowd area; I can only assume they're making a concert video.


This guy was on fire! He kept the energy high and the vibes good.


... which helped this young fellow get into the groove. He was so hilarious, dancing around and singing along - I thought he belonged at a Mika concert.












For the encore, Lidell reemerged wearing... well, a TV on his head.


And let everyone sing along to "Multiply."


(demon faced man, but look how close we were! I touched his hand. It was awesome.)




All in all, a highly satisfying show from one Jamie Lidell.




love,
*jenna*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home