Monday, July 21, 2008

The Lovely Ugly

I've been hanging out in a place called New York City. Let me show you!

At a whiskey bar a couple Saturdays ago, this was scrawled in the girls' room. Girls' rooms are usually filled with demoralizing and cursory words from one chick to (or about) another, and in NYC it can get particularly viscious. This seemed so different and so sweet, I had to capture it. I wonder, who is Kristy Malm?


This is a classic from the side of the Mister Softee truck, and I liked it particularly because the night before I had hung out with some pals from the Superhero Store, with whom I work some Sundays, and so we call ourselves "sundaes." Represent!


Last Sunday I happened upon a weekly flea market on West Columbus Ave, which sounds so gross, but it was pretty cool. They had some interesting and unique things. Sadly but ultimately luckily, I didn't have cash on me so I couldn't be overtaken by impulse buys. There would have been a lot. So I satisfied myself with taking photos.




I'm a sucker for chandeliers. Someday I'll have one.


After that, walking down the most gorgeous block on (I think) West 73rd Street, I saw this little pretty garden. I like the beauty of it beside garbage bags and the gritty ground. You can't keep the beauty of life down, I tell ya. As long as it's around, the ugliness' days are numbered.












To cap it all off, someone from the past sends good vibes to you and me!


New York grocery stores are weird (and kind of gross). I don't know what kind of cheese these people think they're selling, but I would like to meet them and hear their argument.


Oh to be cool and young in the city. Isn't this the stamp that everyone would like to bear?


One more random thing I saw, from a cab: a bedroom outside a comedy club with cameras. Hmm. I will not sign THAT waiver.


And finally, the Thing I Did This Weekend. On Saturday, Shannon was sweet enough to invite me out to the beach with her, Morgan, and some of their peeps. It was 100 degrees and humid that day, so I was all, "Stay in the city? Oh hell no!" and got outta there. I made the trek out to Long Beach, then we got some delicious Italian sandwiches of my design (salami, mortadella, pepperoni with provolone, lettuce and hot peppers on a baguette) and headed to the sandy sunny beach.


It was really the only place to be that day. We soaked it up. Well, Shannon did. I wore my sweater of sunscreen and my big straw hat.


Happily, of course.






We went swimming and the water was perfectly icy. I was happily thrashed about in the waves, to Shannon's amusement. Then Shannon got stung by a jellyfish. Don't worry, she survived.


We stopped by her house on our way back to the city for some Saturday-nighting. I love her wood paneling.


And the cracks in the plastic trash container at the train station. (see what I mean about beauty and ugliness?)


On Sunday I worked at the Superhero Store and had a grand time spending a whole hour showing toys to one adorable blonde little girl and wearing Invisibility Detection Goggles to goof around with my co-volunteer. As I got back into the city, I was overtaken by hunger and stopped by a Thai restaurant for some takeout. But even ravaging hunger can't stop me from noticing and attempting to capture the sunlight on a closed antique shop.


Hello, oldies, basking in the evening light...


Reclining and soaking like me and Shannon. Ha.


Mmm. Lovely. Enjoying the summer and sending kisses to you...


love,
*jenna*

2 Comments:

Blogger Loraine said...

Your pictures make my heart ache for the city that I love so much...

We're even. I make your ovaries ache... you make my heart ache.

2:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your photography is so innovative and reveals the meaning of "perspective". WHEN is your book coming out???

Perhaps you should begin a campaign of leaving words of peace and beauty and harmony on walls (inspired by the sister tribute). Could start a revolution (if you don't get caught!)

love from home...

5:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home