Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Au Revoir Amie

Shannon and I decided we needed to have one last hurrah before her move to Arizona. So, the Friday before she left, I took the day off work, we made ourselves a badass picnic and headed to Central Park.

Fortunately, despite the week's chilly and rainy weather, that day the sun suddenly started shining and warming the city. Unfortunately, we didn't realize that was the day that the Black Eyed Peas were playing a free concert. 60,000 people attended - thus shutting down half the park and creating quite a maze that we had to spend 45 minutes circumventing. Eventually, though, we found a quiet clearing, set ourselves down and got to chillin'.


I had bought an amazing bottle of sparkling rosé for a special occasion, and we popped it right there on the grass!

"No, no, officer, it's just Cherry 7-Up."


Plus a reenactment of our last farewell picnic, complete with Monte Enebro, Cambozola, and of course prosciutto. You guys, we ate almost all of the cheese you see before you.


After we ate, we enjoyed the weather, listening to some picnic tunes and talking about the future.






After walking back to my house, watching trash TV and taking a nap necessary to digest all of that CHEESE, we headed out for a night on the town.

I'd like to say we painted the town red, but that's probably because this is the only photo I have of that night. I don't remember why I took it, but I do know it was at Darkroom, where we danced and danced and danced.


The next morning we went to Fred's, site of a thousand Sunday brunches and many adorable waiters, and relived the previous night's adventures.


And thoroughly enjoyed Fred's' strawberry butter.


Afterward I escorted Shannon to the Penn Station to say goodbye. I gave her a big hug, many well wishes, and tons of tears. I kept crying on the way back to the subway. When I got home I happened upon this essay by Melissa Febos about crying in public in New York, which I've done dozens of times, during some of the hardest times of my life, and I felt it rang very true. Sometimes, when you need to cry, it happens wherever you happen to be. In New York, we live our most private emotions among millions of other people.

So there it is - Shannon is off to the next chapter in her life, and someday soon I will be too. I wonder where will they lead us?


love,
*jenna*

2 Comments:

Blogger Belle said...

What a fun picnic! Lovely images too ((:


www.bloomandbe.blogspot.com

9:28 AM  
Blogger Shamus said...

Beautiful scene

9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home