Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Blooms, Blooms.... Not Everywhere

On Saturday I battled an odd, unexplained illness in order to go look at apartments in fair Brooklyn. Afterward, I thought hey, I'm out here already and it's sunny out... might as well try to enjoy the second-to-last day of the Cherry Blossom Festival.

I arrived and was gloriously greeted by these neon-bright bushes along the lawn.








I rounded the curve towards the Cherry Promenade, excited to see the blooms that had thrilled me so in years past.


I walked beneath this beautiful lavender canopy.


Complete with happy bridal couple having photos.


Hey, good for them. But as I approached the Promenade, I shook my head in disbelief, not even recognizing the tree-lined expanse I had loved last year and the one before.

It was.... green.


Oh, the horror! Well, maybe not horror, but disappointment. Oh, the disappointment!


This is what I was used to seeing (from last year):


And even that was pre-full bloom. But this year I was just a little too late.

I was overcome with exhaustion from being sick and disappointment at not only missing the peak blossom season, but also having no one to share it with even if I'd gotten there on the perfect day. I sat myself down and watched dozens of happy couples and families pass by, enjoying the day.


On my way out I stopped at the Brooklyn Museum, where they were running a Murakami exhibit. I usually don't like his work, but this huge sculpture in the lobby was undeniably impressive.


And, on my way home, I stopped through a Union Square gallery to show my support for my friend and coworker Stephanie, whose photograph from her trip to Paris was chosen to be displayed at the Pen & Brush Juried Photography Exhibition. Congratulations Steph!


Then I went home and fell into a fevered sleep.

Today, as I made my way back to the office after a doctor visit, I passed my beloved tulip bed in Madison Square Park and instead found this guy. My hero!


I can't wait to see what he plants for me next. I thanked him for doing such an awesome job. (note the Yankees hat)

Elsewhere along the park, people sat in the sunshine, soaking in a bright lunchtime moment.


... though every spot of sunshine has its homeless guy...


love,
*jenna*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home