Thursday, May 29, 2008

Memorialing

Some familiar sights:

From the street near PS260 on the way to Herald Square, the sun was just gleaming violently off the side of this gorgeous architecture:


From my stoop:




Well, soon-to-be former stoop. This is the view from the doorstep of an apartment I came thisclose to taking in Brooklyn, so close that I gave the landlord my deposit check:


And this was on the same block, I just loved the sign and shadow play:


But I ultimately did not take the apartment... because I found an even better one right here in the city! Just across town on 89th and Broadway, a beautiful little nook into which I'll move in a couple of weeks. Many photos to follow.

Later that weekend ("that" being last) I rode out to Brooklyn for my first day as a volunteer for 826NYC. It was a totally rad day. I got no pictures from the center, but I couldn't resist these two from the train.

Peeking out to the Statue of Liberty afar:


And this cute kid reading aloud to himself, completely absorbed in his book:


On Monday, I celebrated my day off by meeting up with Shannon at Central Park. EVERYBODY was there, and they all brought their dogs. This shot has everything in it: kids, landmarks, buildings, nature, a pedicab, even a painter.


We set up our blanket on a lush lawn and had some salami and cheese with a baguette.... Italian style!! I also brought Nutella. Dang, that stuff is good.




Then we played Skip-Bo, which I had never played before. It is not, contrary to popular (as in, my) belief, the same as Skip-It. But it was fun nevertheless. Actually, it was probably MORE fun than Skip-It, because it involved no exercise.





Then we kind of just laid around and rehashed some old Italy inside jokes.


Another only-in-New-York moment: this kid came into the park, set up a tightrope, and practiced in front of us for like two hours. Perhaps he's preparing to run away and join the circus?


Then we walked up to 75th and Broadway (right near my soon-to-be home!) and had gelato from Grom, which has a shop in both Venice and New York. Perfetto.


It was absolutely the perfect day out. Ah, beautiful spring, never leave my side!

*jenna*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home