Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Light->Glass->Light

After my day with Grandma, Mom picked me up and we headed over to the Desert Botanical Gardens for the Chihuly exhibit. I've been familiar with Dale Chihuly's work for a long time; we ran a piece on him when I used to work on "Horizon" and I wrote an article about him for Epic Places magazine. He had an exhibit at the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens a couple of years ago that I enjoyed; this time I got to experience it with my whole family in the desert.

As we drove along, approaching the Gardens, all of a sudden this glowing golden cactus rose up before us: the first piece.


We arrived and I was happily reminded of one of the only things I love about Arizona: the splendid sunsets. This is my new desktop background.


We had arrived at just the right time, as we were able to enjoy some of the displays during the final hours of the day and some at night.


I love this one; it makes me think of Medusa. I think it's called "The Sun."


The attendees were agog.





This was another lovely one; sort of like... Earth with hurricanes.


Soon we made our way toward that glowing cactus, which was lit from within and buzzing incessantly.


It made us all glow with it.






As we walked around the grounds, peeps of shining lovely beds of glass works would come into view, rather mischievously.





Or perhaps a boat floating in a dry river of rocks.








Eventually you wind around and this structure with a dozen pieces is before you.




Including this cool weird chandelier.


I loved this dangling blue one and I love the people standing in front of it.


And I love the shadows it throws upon the ceiling.







Then we wrapped back around to the beginning, "The Sun" shining brightly, delicately, for us.








We headed home and ate my glorious banana cream pie. Even my brothers gave their approval, saying "It tastes just like Grandma's." What a compliment!





The rest of my trip was spent enjoying family times.


Home times.


Arizona winter times.


Tom even made us French-press coffee. I'll give you one guess as to which mug is mine.


Thanks Arizona!


Until next time....


love,
*jenna*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home