Colorful Motion
Last Saturday D. and I went to the Mika concert. Mika is a super-flaming Lebanese singer whose almost exclusively falsetto voice and super-poppy style make it difficult to believe he wrote his first song after listening to Nirvana at the age of nine. (I just read about him on Wikipedia.) The unabashedly joyful sound of his album "Life In Cartoon Motion" nearly guaranteed a rockin' good time at Terminal 5. We went with Mitch, from work, and her husband Rhys, who's been growing a strike beard since SNL ceased production and he has nothing else to do.

When we got there, Dustin (naturally) saw someone he knew, and I got a picture with the fellow's girlfriend, as we both had on pearl necklaces.

We showed up right as Mika came on, and therefore could not get all the way up near the stage, which is where I usually prefer to be, otherwise I'm left on the sidelines or behind some 7-foot tall dude, as was the case that night.

Mitch has the same problem, because she's even shorter than I. We ended up going to the only place where we could really see, which was behind the bar all the way in the back of the house. We could see, but I felt rather separated from the crowd. Luckily, the show had enough spectacle to satisfy even those who weren't a part of the dancing throngs.
Mika has a song called "Big Girl (You Are Beautiful)" and it's all about, well, big girls. He had an apt prop for this performance.

He brought out four Big Girls to help him celebrate the beauty of the corpulent woman. Hilariously enough, the four ladies were members of the Glamazons, a group that made it through the first round of last season's O. Snapp-recapped "America's Got Talent."

Yeah, they shook it. Mika sounded good throughout the show, but I wished he had played more of his upbeat songs.


Still, the spectacle was enough for me. This chick came out and I suddenly longed for a parade to be in.

I started formulating ideas for the next Mermaid Parade.

I wonder where I can get a headdress.

One beautiful section was when Mika, in an all-white suit, held an ivory umbrella beneath a pseudo-snowstorm.

And who doesn't like some good gigantic calavedas?


During an elaborate costume change, a scrim was lowered and some crazy shadows emerged.

Turns out the shadows belonged to a quartet of furries. Perhaps Mika stopped by the Sound Lounge Christmas fiesta.

And by the end Mika really lived up to his "cartoon motion" philosophy and brought out the gigantic balloons, bright colors and Alice-in-Wonderland themes.



Oh, and confetti. He brought out the confetti as any good spectacler should.

It was Flaming Lips-esque.

After the show, after the crowd cleared out and the lights came up, the stage remained lit, looking like a cartoon hangover.

And 3,000 hipsters left through the fire-hazardous hallway .


love,
*jenna*

When we got there, Dustin (naturally) saw someone he knew, and I got a picture with the fellow's girlfriend, as we both had on pearl necklaces.

We showed up right as Mika came on, and therefore could not get all the way up near the stage, which is where I usually prefer to be, otherwise I'm left on the sidelines or behind some 7-foot tall dude, as was the case that night.

Mitch has the same problem, because she's even shorter than I. We ended up going to the only place where we could really see, which was behind the bar all the way in the back of the house. We could see, but I felt rather separated from the crowd. Luckily, the show had enough spectacle to satisfy even those who weren't a part of the dancing throngs.
Mika has a song called "Big Girl (You Are Beautiful)" and it's all about, well, big girls. He had an apt prop for this performance.

He brought out four Big Girls to help him celebrate the beauty of the corpulent woman. Hilariously enough, the four ladies were members of the Glamazons, a group that made it through the first round of last season's O. Snapp-recapped "America's Got Talent."

Yeah, they shook it. Mika sounded good throughout the show, but I wished he had played more of his upbeat songs.


Still, the spectacle was enough for me. This chick came out and I suddenly longed for a parade to be in.

I started formulating ideas for the next Mermaid Parade.

I wonder where I can get a headdress.

One beautiful section was when Mika, in an all-white suit, held an ivory umbrella beneath a pseudo-snowstorm.

And who doesn't like some good gigantic calavedas?


During an elaborate costume change, a scrim was lowered and some crazy shadows emerged.

Turns out the shadows belonged to a quartet of furries. Perhaps Mika stopped by the Sound Lounge Christmas fiesta.

And by the end Mika really lived up to his "cartoon motion" philosophy and brought out the gigantic balloons, bright colors and Alice-in-Wonderland themes.



Oh, and confetti. He brought out the confetti as any good spectacler should.

It was Flaming Lips-esque.

After the show, after the crowd cleared out and the lights came up, the stage remained lit, looking like a cartoon hangover.

And 3,000 hipsters left through the fire-hazardous hallway .


love,
*jenna*

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home